Argonne said:
Code:
I think it's pretty common nowadays. Call it "reenactment" or "recreation".
They probably think it's safer and faster to use trained
actors instead of amateurs. There may also be legal
reasons. As long as the STORY is true. That's the main thing.
Hmmm, I'm actually NOT ok with it being a "reenactment," especially since they didn't disclose it as such. Certainly on many shows (including, possibly the recent child past lives show?) they include dramatic reenactments, but the producers always make it clear that they're not showing actual footage. I think the producers of Reincarnated: Past Lives went to great lengths to make it appear that these session were actually being filmed in real time, as were the research revelation portions. If it was a "reenactment" why didn't they include a disclosure at the beginning or end? That just strikes me as unacceptably deceptive!
On the other hand, like I said, it may be that they hired (willing) actors to actually undergo hypnosis, filmed the process, and filmed the reveal. Why shouldn't actors have past lives just like the rest of us? Why shouldn't they be moved by the experience? I think using actors as opposed to "lay" volunteers may encourage skeptics, but I'm not, per se, opposed if it was done for logistical reasons during the pilot season. That's the only reason why I'm willing the reserve judgment.
If, however, they're using unhypnotized actors without disclosure (even if they're "reenacting" a true scenario,) I'd feel duped and I think a skeptic would be perfectly justified in dismissing the project. As far as I'm concerned "undisclosed reenactment" is no better than fakery and completely undermines the message of the show. If they're really trying to start a serious public discussion about something as unfamiliar (to many people) as reincarnation, I think they have a responsibility to behave ethically, forthrightly, and sincerely. And really, shouldn't people behave that way ALL the time, regardless of whether they're in television or not?
As for legal explanations, as an attorney, I can think of no reason not to disclose a reenactment (and I would certainly advise the producers to disclose were I their lawyer). They would have been completely incompetent not to get the written informed consent of any actual hypnotic subjects both before and after the sessions No one can be forced to appear on a television show, but I think there would be plenty of willing volunteers. There is no legal justification for presenting a dramatic reenactment as an actual "live" event, at least that I can think of off hand.