• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

"When I was a boy..."

rabrog

Member
This is my first post - I hope it's okay to jump in with questions. :)

I've heard of past lives before but I guess I had forgotten about them. I came across a thread on another board and something clicked for me today. My daughter is 3.5yo and has sometimes said "I am a boy," "I was a boy," or "when I was a boy..." but nothing after that. Just very matter of fact. I am sad to say I never explored this further with her at all. She has not mentioned it in a long time, though she does prefer to go to the men's restrooms with her daddy when we're out and about. :confused:

Have I missed my chance to see if she remembers more or if there's more to this at all? Part of me thinks (and I am at peace with this) that these are very simple statements, part of a past life but that she doesn't remember much else, perhaps that her past life wasn't much different from her life now. However, I would hate to discount it and chalk it up to that if in fact there is more to it.

I do know she sees/used to see angels as an infant. She met my grandmother one time when she was 2 months old; my grandmother died when she was 6.5 months old. DD would smile at...nothing! And I just knew she saw my grandmother.

I am also pregnant with our second child (due the day before DD's 4th birthday in March). I'm wondering if she'll talk more about it when the baby is here, maybe a renewed interest or opportunity...yay or nay?

Jenn
 
Hi Jenn,


Welcome to the forum. :)

Have I missed my chance to see if she remembers more or if there's more to this at all?
Your daughter's definitely at the right age to speak about past lives.


However, unless she's the one bringing it up, I'd caution against asking her any leading questions. If she does - there are simple things you can say to her that may encourage her to speak more. Here's a great thread from our FAQ Section:


How do I talk with my child when she talks about her Past Life?


Also, art is another good way to get her to tell you a little bit more. If she mentions "when I was a boy" again, you could always make it into a game and say "Let's draw a picture of when you were a boy!" Then - let her draw and ask her to tell you about the picture when she's done.

I'm wondering if she'll talk more about it when the baby is here, maybe a renewed interest or opportunity...yay or nay?
She may, or she may not. It could be that her last life was a peaceful and happy one and she feels no need to speak anymore about it. Or it could be like you said - that she remembers being a boy, but remembers very little else about it. Or, she could just be using her imagination. :)


Here are two other threads I think you'll enjoy:


The Four Signs of Children's Past Life Memory


How can you tell the difference between a child's fantasy and a true past life?


Have you read Carol Bowman's book "Childrens Past Lives" yet? It's a fascinating read - and I highly recommend it. You can read Chapter One here.


Don't hesitate to ask questions - and please keep us posted about your daughter!


Ailish
 
Hello Jenn and welcome to the forum! :)


Don't worry, you have done nothing wrong. I think it's possible your daughter has been remembering a past life as a boy, but like you said, it also seems she's not troubled with the memories or have any phobias related to past life traumas. If she won't talk about it anymore and doesn't have any problems that might be helped with past life therapy, it's likely she has already forgot about her past lives or doesn't feel the need to talk about them. And that's totally fine. :)


If she does start talking about her past life experiences, it's great that you know now to acknowledge it. It's important to listen and to let the child know you believe her instead of telling her it's just her imagination. If she seems to be bothered about the memories, it's good to discuss them with her by open-ended questions, not leading her. It's also advisable to assure her that even if it's not make-believe, it was a different life in a different body.


There are some excellent threads here in this section and in the archives about children's past life experiences. I hope you take the time to read through some of them to learn more about how to react if your child starts talking about her past life memories. I also suggest you get Carol Bowman's excellent book Children's Past Lives. I'm sure you'd love it.


I don't know if getting siblings makes children talk more about past lives, but they sometimes talk about how it is before you are born, when their mothers are pregnant.


All the best for you and your children. Keep us posted should your daughter start talking again about being a boy. And if she does, write everything down. :thumbsup:


Karoliina
 
Hi Jenn,


Welcome to the forum. The others have already given you some great advice. I hope you will read through the threads and keep us updated with your thoughts and any other signs of your daughters past life.


I have to say she is very lucky to have an understanding mum with an open mind. When i was a little boy growing up, i regularly had dreams about being a girl, and those dreams were exactly the same each time that i had them, but i was too scared to utter a word to my parents or anyone else about it because i knew that i would be made fun of. People just didn't seem to be as open minded back then. Obviously this led to a lot of confusion as i was growing up, i had nobody to talk to about it.


By allowing your daughter to speak freely about any further memories, and by acknowledging those memories, you could be helping her a great deal. Make sure to write anything down that she says, and if she tells you any more about her memories as she gets older, a journal can be an invaluable resource to help you put the little pieces together later on.


Good luck with you pregnancy, and please keep us updated on your daughter.


Chris... ;)
 
Thanks everyone!


Ailish, I've read the "signs" link and DD has been consistent (or was) about it and very matter of fact. And it would happen when we were doing ordinary things, kid things, just playing. She'd say "when I was boy I did this" meaning what we were doing then. That's what makes me think she had a good past life and that may be why I've heard no more about it.


Chris, the stigma of boys/girls - I think - is greater for a little boy to say he used to be a girl than for a girl to say she was a boy. It's sad that you couldn't talk about it then, but it must be a relief to know now what that was all about and that it was okay. hug2.gif


Jenn
 
rabrog said:
Chris, the stigma of boys/girls - I think - is greater for a little boy to say he used to be a girl than for a girl to say she was a boy. It's sad that you couldn't talk about it then, but it must be a relief to know now what that was all about and that it was okay. hug2.gif
Jenn
You're not wrong there and i totally agree with you, but you know what Jenn, regarding my past lives, finding this forum was the best thing that ever happened to me. Just being able to talk about it with others who are in the same situation, and people who understand and care, have helped me to make sense of something i've always been aware of, but never really understood.


But anyway, enough about me... :o :rolleyes:... i hope your daughter remembers a good past life, and that you get to hear more from her about it, because it really can be a fascinating journey, one which i hope you will be able to share with us as you go along... ;)


Chris... :)
 
Hi Jenn,


I was wondering if your daughter has any masculine behaviors to go with her statements. For example, does she seem to want to be a boy in this life or does she just simply speak of being a boy in another life?


I think just letting her talk but possibly taking the time to ask open ended questions is a fabulous idea. If she says, she used to do such and such when she was a boy, maybe ask her what else she remembers doing when she was a boy, her name etc.


My son used to say he wanted to be a girl, although he is and was very much a boy in every other way. When I asked him why, he said because he wanted to sit down to go pee and because he liked the 'feeling of long hair.' I told him that both of those things could be worked out and he could stay a boy. My husband sort of freaked out though and our son stopped talking about it.


I didn't know at the time that he was possibly remembering a past life. When my son has spoken of a past life as a girl, it has been very tough to relate to because he is so much a boy in this life, I can't see him as anything else. Its good that you are so open. I think you may be surprised at what your daughter says some day. 3-4 seems to be about the age where a mom can get very surprised about things their children are thinking.


Vicky
 
Vicky,


that's a very good question. I've never really thought about it. I don't think I've noticed anything I would say is particularly "masculine" about my DD. She prefers to go to the men's bathroom with DH when we're out, but that's all I can think of.


Jenn
 
Back
Top