wonder
Member
When I was a child I had a couple of recurring dreams.
I choose the picture of the vintage doll as an avatar because of this one:
I got a new rain coat and hat. I am walking to school through my neighborhood in wonder and awe at being outside in the rain and not getting wet! I am splashing in puddles, listening to birds, looking at the gardens of the houses I pass. Water drips from the tree branches. I smell the wet earth. I walk along completely lost in this reverie until I get to the place where I have to cross the street to get to my school on the other side . There is a crossing guard, and usually a group of kids waiting to cross when I get there. I realize I must be late, as I am the only one waiting to cross. I think that I may get in trouble, but decide it was worth it if I do! I had such a nice walk to school that day!
In this life I grew up in the suburbs, on a street with no sidewalks, most of the homes were mid century ranches and bungalows. The setting in this dream reminds me of what one finds in old downtown areas, big old homes with porches and small yards, the street is kind of urban. I think there are stores and shops on the other side near the school. I have never lived in a setting like this, but the dream and memory is so real, such a multi sensory experience. I remember trying to make sense of this memory, asking my Mom if I ever had a red and white rain coat or if we had ever stayed with anyone who lived in the city. She said no, and did not seem to like my idea that it could be a PL memory.
I choose the picture of the vintage doll as an avatar because of this one:
I got a new rain coat and hat. I am walking to school through my neighborhood in wonder and awe at being outside in the rain and not getting wet! I am splashing in puddles, listening to birds, looking at the gardens of the houses I pass. Water drips from the tree branches. I smell the wet earth. I walk along completely lost in this reverie until I get to the place where I have to cross the street to get to my school on the other side . There is a crossing guard, and usually a group of kids waiting to cross when I get there. I realize I must be late, as I am the only one waiting to cross. I think that I may get in trouble, but decide it was worth it if I do! I had such a nice walk to school that day!
In this life I grew up in the suburbs, on a street with no sidewalks, most of the homes were mid century ranches and bungalows. The setting in this dream reminds me of what one finds in old downtown areas, big old homes with porches and small yards, the street is kind of urban. I think there are stores and shops on the other side near the school. I have never lived in a setting like this, but the dream and memory is so real, such a multi sensory experience. I remember trying to make sense of this memory, asking my Mom if I ever had a red and white rain coat or if we had ever stayed with anyone who lived in the city. She said no, and did not seem to like my idea that it could be a PL memory.
Last edited by a moderator: