midwestantiquer
Member
Part 1 of 5
Dregs From The Reign of Terror – A past life intrudes
We all have unusual memories and experiences that make us wonder if there is another world going on in addition to this one; dreams, thoughts and familiarities, affinities showing up out of nowhere. We are certain of the reality of these experiences; we know we had them and we suspect their importance. It's impossible to explain these phenomena without referencing relatively insupportable studies such as reincarnation or extrasensory powers. But what if one could take all of the little related parts, all the memories, the dreams and the life landmarks, and string them into a cohesive, explainable whole using only one's day-to-day experiences to prove, at least to the strictness of one's own satisfaction, their meaning and intelligence?
I will give you the related experiences. These are by no means all of my experiences, but they have formed the part of me that, every July, falls into an uneasy depression with stabs of deep despair. These are things that really happened, even though they are mainly dreams which only I can know actually occurred. I therefore refer to them as my “facts.”
The facts of experience #1
I was about six years old. I had a dream that I was on an outdoor veranda surrounded by a white balustrade. I was very, very happy to be there; the floor was a smooth white stone expanse that looked grey and chalky under the overcast sky. There was a faint odor in the air, like rain on concrete.
That was it. It was just a moment in a place, but the enchantment I felt was so intense that I was filled with curiosity then, as now: where was this? It was not a child-like joy, it was a material thrill, physical and even self-satisfied, which somehow separated itself from my usual childhood dreams and fantasies. It caused me to remember it, and even to feel the sense that I needed to remember it.
I thought about it over the course of many years, which is the time it took for me to learn the words I needed to describe it, years to realize that although I am certain of the dream and the time in my life I dreamed it, I could not have known or seen a place like this. There was no television then. I was only reading first grade books. Mostly I left it to rest in a corner of my mind, although once in awhile I would see a park pavilion that looked slightly similar, and I would think to myself, “Yes, it was a little like that.” I mentioned it to a few people, but there's nothing particularly interesting in relating that one has had a dream of a veranda and was very happy on that veranda.
The facts of experience #2
My older sister Katherine Ann was a bully. I needn't go into the pain of having an older sister who systematically makes one's life miserable, because everyone is familiar with bullies. She controlled my mother with her temper and her fists, thereby enforcing her domination over me with perfect freedom. Kathy seemed to have a desperate need to make sure I had not one iota of anything that exceeded her portion, and even to take some of mine away periodically. I was tested extensively in primary school and found to be gifted, and one of the many things she took away was my ability to go to a school for the gifted and talented; she secretly bullied my mother into not giving the school permission to transfer me there.
Continued in Part 2
Dregs From The Reign of Terror – A past life intrudes
We all have unusual memories and experiences that make us wonder if there is another world going on in addition to this one; dreams, thoughts and familiarities, affinities showing up out of nowhere. We are certain of the reality of these experiences; we know we had them and we suspect their importance. It's impossible to explain these phenomena without referencing relatively insupportable studies such as reincarnation or extrasensory powers. But what if one could take all of the little related parts, all the memories, the dreams and the life landmarks, and string them into a cohesive, explainable whole using only one's day-to-day experiences to prove, at least to the strictness of one's own satisfaction, their meaning and intelligence?
I will give you the related experiences. These are by no means all of my experiences, but they have formed the part of me that, every July, falls into an uneasy depression with stabs of deep despair. These are things that really happened, even though they are mainly dreams which only I can know actually occurred. I therefore refer to them as my “facts.”
The facts of experience #1
I was about six years old. I had a dream that I was on an outdoor veranda surrounded by a white balustrade. I was very, very happy to be there; the floor was a smooth white stone expanse that looked grey and chalky under the overcast sky. There was a faint odor in the air, like rain on concrete.
That was it. It was just a moment in a place, but the enchantment I felt was so intense that I was filled with curiosity then, as now: where was this? It was not a child-like joy, it was a material thrill, physical and even self-satisfied, which somehow separated itself from my usual childhood dreams and fantasies. It caused me to remember it, and even to feel the sense that I needed to remember it.
I thought about it over the course of many years, which is the time it took for me to learn the words I needed to describe it, years to realize that although I am certain of the dream and the time in my life I dreamed it, I could not have known or seen a place like this. There was no television then. I was only reading first grade books. Mostly I left it to rest in a corner of my mind, although once in awhile I would see a park pavilion that looked slightly similar, and I would think to myself, “Yes, it was a little like that.” I mentioned it to a few people, but there's nothing particularly interesting in relating that one has had a dream of a veranda and was very happy on that veranda.
The facts of experience #2
My older sister Katherine Ann was a bully. I needn't go into the pain of having an older sister who systematically makes one's life miserable, because everyone is familiar with bullies. She controlled my mother with her temper and her fists, thereby enforcing her domination over me with perfect freedom. Kathy seemed to have a desperate need to make sure I had not one iota of anything that exceeded her portion, and even to take some of mine away periodically. I was tested extensively in primary school and found to be gifted, and one of the many things she took away was my ability to go to a school for the gifted and talented; she secretly bullied my mother into not giving the school permission to transfer me there.
Continued in Part 2