• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

no underwear, "gillies", and other childhood quirks- related to reincarnation?

Colibro

Member
Hi. I'm new here, and figure that a lot of what I might say may be redundant, but I will share a little bit of my own story- hopefully it may ring a bell with some other readers, or at least give me some enlightenment. I became formally acquainted with the rationale of reincarnation when I was fourteen,when I read a book, I think it was by Ruth Montgomery (?). To me, it suddenly made perfect sense-without being incongruent to my basic sense of Christianity- and it helped also to explain a some of the many quirks I had as a young child.

I'd like to hear what some others think- The first thing, is that I have always had this incredibly strong attachment to my mother. My earliest memory (of this life) is of being put into the big bed with my father, being hot and worried that he was going to roll on me as he was sleeping, staring up at the patterns the tree branches made on the wall from car headlights, and wondering what they were and also wondering where my mother was.

All of my family says that this is impossible, because the only time I was ever in bed with my father with my mother not there was when she had to go back into the hospital two weeks after I was born, because she was hemmorraging. Well- I definitely remember, and they should have believed me because at six weeks of age, I scared both my father and grandmother half to death, by turning my head from within my little basinet and asking my dad clearly in perfect English, "Where did Momma go?" after she had left the room.

Mom says she remembers this incident as two shreiks coming from the living room and my dad replying in disbelief- "Why, she's in the kitchen!" Neither my sister nor I really babbled as babies, and I didn't really talk again after that, until I spontaneously started talking in complete sentences at two years old. My opinion about this is that I wasn't especially precocious, I just knew English already.

By early childhood, quirks had already somewhat surfaced- extreme attachment to mom and BAD tempertantrums-when I was separated from her and usually involving power struggles with my sister and Dad. Also, they noticed that after diapers, I refused to wear underwear, or if I did, I had to wear four pairs of them. This is quite embarrassing to think of now, but I remember it just feeling "icky", and throwing awful fits and refusing to wear them- even when I went to school.

I finally started to wear them at age eleven or so- when junior high sensibilities began to kick in. I was also obsessed with cinching my waist extremely tight. I had this belt that I made Dad tack an extra couple of notches in- and would wear my belt so tight that several of the teachers at school voiced concern over the possible damage I was doing to my internal organs. But if my parents tried to make me not wear it- I would pitch a TREMENDOUS, unholy fit. Also, I had this thing with my socks and shoes. My shoes also had to be laced as tight as they would go, and my socks, had to be turned inside out,and upside down, whereupon I would take scissors to the corners to remove the tufts of seam there that I called "gillies".

They didn't know where I had gotten this word, but I hated the gillies and wanted my socks not to have that horrible seam across the toe. My mom said that my socks at the time had all holes cut in the corners, but there was nothing she could do. I spent my childhood racked with nightmares(and most of my adolescent and early adult life as well)- I never wanted to be left alone in bed, and most nights, my parents would carry me to my bed after I had fallen asleep in theirs. I also used to sleepwalk quite a lot, and freak them out. But a good thing- in early childhood a talent emerged in me. I could draw quite well. But the two main subjects of my drawings were horses and ladies.

As a formally educated art teacher, I now realize that this is a stage that many young girls go through,(horse obsession and wanting to draw princesses) but for me I think it was somewhat different because I also drew ladies with corsets and bustles, and I would always tell stories about them as I drew. My mom would get me that old computer paper that was perforated, and I would rip sheet after sheet off, filled with my characters and their adventures- such as having tea, and gossiping about their suitors. I recently found a card that I made my grandmother when I was six that said "Grandmother is a very kind and genteel person." I know that I was specifically trying to say "genteel" and not "gentle", because I have always liked that word, and have used it often to describe well-mannered people.

I used to plague my grandmother about what it was like in the old days ( she was born in 1903), and I remember crying about the fact that I wasn't born a hundred years earlier. Now I think- what a silly thing to cry over, even though I still feel this tremendous emotional pull to 19th Century Britain. Even though my grandmother would tell me about all the diseases and inconveniences and awful things that happened to people in America when she was young, I never believed that the old days-especially in Merry Old, weren't all they were cracked up to be- I used to bring home all these British Costume movies and make her watch them with me, because I felt like she was the only one who " got it". She humoured me fairly well. Even though my sister has gone on to get her Ph.D. in 18th Century English Literature- and has shown an interest in the past- I have always thought her interests were rather "peasanty" and mundane. Like women's rights and whatnot. (I'm being fecetious now, but I wasn't always so concerned about equality and justice.)

I remember being little and being apalled when I asked her if she could be anyone at anytime- and she replied that she would have wanted to be a gypsy princess, 200 years ago, travelling and living by her wits. I always thought a clean, civilized, well-dressed Victorian was about the best thing you could be. I think that if I have something to learn in this life- it's that clean, "civilized", well-dressed Victorians weren't always the best people. They were responsible for a lot of suffering in many other parts of the world, and women's lots during that time weren't so great. I guess what I'm trying to find out with this thread, is if anyone else has had similar quirks- with clothing, food (I wouldn't eat anything mixed together for the longest time), underwear or gillies... I recently found out that ghillie is the name for a type of shoe, and that sent chills down my spine, but if anybody knows- would they have been worn by ladies, and why would I have had such an adversion to seams in my socks?

Also is it possible to have these kind of hunches and arrive at any definite answers through regression? I have always been very drawn to the social practices of the Upper and Middle Classes in 19th Century England, and have the vague impressions of knowing what it was like to wear gloves and have a tightly bound bodice on and that thing- I love fancy clothes and soft fabrics, especially silk. (Even though in this life, I live on a farm- and do lots of "peasanty things every day.) Is there anyone else out there with this time period nagging them? But I don't know- if I am reincarnated, what my circumstances may have actually been. I do know that I think I had curly brown hair and my name started with either an E or an A- but it all feels so made up in my mind, and yet- not. Although I believe in the possibility of reincarnation to explain my circumstances, I am still extremely skeptical of adult regression.

I have read some of Dr. Ian Stevenson's research and he seems to be leery of adult regressions, because as adults, our natural tendencies to fantasize and exaggerate may distort any so-called memories we get through meditation or regression. And the the proven unreliabilty of memory itself- even in one's present lifetime, also bothers me. Did I really remember missing my mother when I was two weeks old, or was it constructed from my memories as an older child, and overhearing things? I believe, above all else, in the power of the human mind to absorb thing subconsciously, and also to imagine wonders, even incredibly detailed, or emotional things. I recently read a book about adult regressions and this one woman had remembered being burned at the stake for witchcraft in Salem, MA. I instantly thought, "How ridiculous! They didn't Burn anyone at Salem! The accused were hanged and one was crushed to death!" Though, I could acknowledge the power of the feelings evoked in the description of her "memories", so obvious an error had to be questioned !!

I am not scholar enough to call out some other inconsistencies in people's memories, but it seems like in order to really heal, people need to separate what seems to be real, from what may be metaphorical fantasy. (Did I like tight things when I was young because I needed to feel secure?) Thank you for reading my long and rambling message- I had a lot pent up. Hopefully someone will respond to my skeptical and yet curious thoughts. Also special greeting to any of you over there in the UK- and anybody else who may provide clues to my bizarre childhood preoccupation with underwear and gillies.

edited for paragraph formating only.

[This message has been edited by Deborah (edited 06-27-2002).]
 
Welcome to the forum Colibro,

I hope you enjoy it here. My brother wouldn't wear shorts until he was in his late teens. He didn't want his knees to show. This stemmed from his embarrassment of taking the British side during the transition in India in a past life. He wore British shorts then and refused to wear them now.

------------------
Deborah

Memory is an abstract painting - it does not present things as they are, but rather as they feel. --Eugenia Collier
 
Colibro,

Welcome! I personally found your post really interesting. I used to draw stories like that too when I was little. I always thought I was the only one who did that. My stories were always about schools or poverty being favourtie themes of mine. Actually I feel really drawn to Victorian England as well. I think I probably had a past life there too.

Jo

------------------
Falling Leaves Return to Their Roots.
 
Haylow and welcome...

I did enjoy reading your post however and you did present some useful information... one thing about adult fantasies however is that sometimes they are but with mine I think
"goodness knows why? I would have hated that!" I have an inkling of a PL in WWII france but that's probably just a fantasy though I'm gonna try and find out some more infro to see if I'm right when I'm not so busy... I also have a thing about Roman Britain being a Briton but that's probably going to be a shortlived fantasy as well...sorry I'm a Scientist and a cynic!!!lol anyways I'll post more here when I think of stuff as I have a feeling this is gonna be an interesting thread!
Cyall soon!
 
I have red that in England witches weren't burnt at the stake, and still I'm pretty much sure that my loved one was burned there in late medieval times when I myself was a monk.

But she wasn't a witch. I'm not sure whatta hell she was, but certainly not good devoded Catholic woman! Atleast Hebrew people were burned along with their houses, and I guess heathen too. I wouldn't be surprised if she had been a member of some kind of kathar like family, whose descentants had found safe haven in England - for a while.

I think I open a new thread about day dreaming and false memories!
 
To Deborah- how did your brother remember about the past life in India, was he regressed, was it through dreams, etc. (?) To Jojolala- that's really cool about your drawing!! Do you still have any of them? (It's fun to look through old stuff like that.) Are you still an artist, and what is your favourite subject matter now? And do you remember what was going on in the schools?

Were your drawings about poverty sad or just matter of fact? Also to anybody else concerned, I really appreciate everyone's stories and am not a really argumentative person- so hopefully I can pose questions that provoke thought,but don't get anyone too upset. To Josefina- I'm sure that your feelings about the fire are very valid and that you must have witnessed the terrible event you described earlier. It's hard for me even to believe what's written in history books because we all know that there are multiple sides to every story- and many things get deleted or altered! I guess what we all want is answers. For me, it seems like there have been things nagging me my whole life, but the answers lie a million miles away, through thick fog.....
 
Colibro,

To answer your questions; yes I probably do have some of my old drawings, well under several piles of junk anyway! Even if I don't have my drawing I'm sure my Grandma still has some! Actually I haven't seen them in years, meaning it may just be time to tidy my room again...
I can remember something about my proverty drawings. The story never properly ended. I've been thinking that the poverty drawings may be connected to the holocaust somehow. I think that I lived in the holocaust too. (the Ghetto's maybe?)I can't remember much about the school drawings, except that each character was always drawn in the same place as before. I have no idea what that means.
I still draw now, but I don't draw stories anymore, I'm more into expressionisom these days.

Jo

------------------
Falling Leaves Return to Their Roots.
 
My take on memories is that if you feel it's true -- whether or not "history" say it is, there's a good chance you're right. I mean, heck, people thought several Grecian cities were mythological until they found them. It may just be that no witches were -reported- burned at the stake. Or that the records of it happening got destroyed somehow.

As to gillies -- they are a kind of shoe worn in Scotland, made from a single piece of leather. Basically a big hunk of leather has "tabs" cut around the edges, with a hole in each tab, and leather lacing goes through the holes to cinch it around the foot. Don't know if the word was used for anything else.

Also curious about the underwear... I know several people who hate wearing the stuff, but none who wear several pairs at once.

And the socks... no clue about that one, except I once heard that Albert Einstein wore his socks inside out because the seams bugged him... so obviously it's not a singular event!

Blessings~
Tatinne

------------------
 
Jojolala-
thanks for your response. I think we both definitely shared a hobby as youngsters,- but it is extremely interesting to me that we were into such different subjects. I always thought that the holocaust was of course, an extremely awful event, but had no personal feelings about until I started dating someone with Jewish Heritage, and sort of projected the past onto modern circumstances. It's funny, but he doesn't take the holocaust personally either. I am convinced that he had a past life as a nomadic North African. He always sympathizes with the Muslim viewpoint in the Arab-Israeli conflict, and spent last summer travelling in Turkey. He loves to drink tea, sit on his carpet, and is constantly moving his furniture about (as if he were used to packing things up and putting things down different places.) Of course- he thinks I am pretty flaky when I suggest the possibility.
Tatinne- Thank you also for your helpful bits. I think that if it is a real memory coming through, then there was SOMETHING having to do with those shoes... What, I have no idea. However, I remember when I was in London. I was in this pub and heard Celtic music- I was drunk- and I remember thinking I could actually do stepdancing! I have always wanted to point my feet in that that certain way. I was convinced I could do it- of course, I don't really no how to now, but it seems like it would be really easy... ha ha! Anyway, are gillies connected to step dancing in anyway- ( Do they even do that in Scotland?) THanks!
 
About the socks, I never clipped the ends of the seams off, but I have worn them inside out, because of the seams, and will not wear them at all unless I absolutely have to! I think that my feet must be very sensitive because I can always feel the fiber of the socks and the seams in pantyhose sometimes feel like they are just going to cut my feet in half.

I also had a tremendous fight once with my mother about a pair of socks. I was supposed to be getting dressed for kindergarten and since it was a warm day I was supposed to put on a pair of bobby socks. I didn't want to weat them because I said they bit my feet (meaning that they chaffed me). I wanted to wear my nice soft knee socks. My mother said it was too hot. After half and hour of arguing, I put on the bobby socks and went to school. When I got to school, I sat down in the class room, took my knee socks out of my pocket and changed my socks. My teacher called my mother about me sitting in the schoolroom floor changing like that and I did get in trouble. But my Mom did buy me some different softer socks too

Forgot to mention, don't know if this goes along with the feet being really sensitive or not, but I can do a lot of stuff with my toes that people can do with their fingers, pick things up turn pages, I can even play chopsticks on the piano and write with my feet.

Also as a child, I always had to wear my cowboy boots and carry my little toy guns (pearl handled revolvers). I would ride on my spring horse for HOURS and my grandparents were so afraid that I would tip it over from riding it so hard that they bolted it to the floor. Years later, I took to riding and shooting like I had done them all my life and never needed to have any lessons.
 
Colibro,
Sounds like past life to me. As far as seeming weird and trivial. It's the weird and trivial little details that tend to 'prove' 'validity' (since science won't admit reincarnation yet). Personally I always liked high black boots and clicking my heels together. Turns out that I had a life in Nazi Germany and got a chance to see the SS parades and the fancy uniforms. (I was not Jewish, so I didn't consider the SS too much of a threat...now the Gestapo is another thing)
The first thing that I would do is LOG all your memories in a binder, along with your pictures......then when you find corroboration you can say, here I drew this in 88 and this photo wasn't found until 1992.
(It'll give you cold chills when it happens)
Good luck with your search.
catseye
 
Colibro~

They don't do the Irish form of stepdancing in Scotland (as far as the clogging around making a racket), but they do have many traditional dances -- the solo dances are closest to ballet, I suppose, but not really. Pointed toes being a high bit, and the arms much more used than in Irish step-dancing. (The dance over crossed swordswould be one of these)

There are also many -set- dances of Scotland that would involve fancy footwork and pointed toes, but they are a little more reminiscent of square dancing as far as being concentrated on being in a particular spot in a particular time.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
Tatinne

------------------
From the Ashes: an urban fantasy tale of the ties that span lifetimes, set against the backdrop of Pendragon Renaissance Faire.

Find it at http://www.faire-folk.com

 
I could make lists and lists of the things that may be PL related. I am researching one PL, but I think regression might help in regards to others.

Marg

------------------
Motherhood is living in a state of perpetual exhaustion and bliss. And knowing your work is never ever ever ever done. LOL!
 
A couple of notes on some of the things mentioned in this thread: Among the people of Scottish descent in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, stepdancing is common, even if it no longer is in Scotland itself. There are still people speaking Scottish Gaelic there and there have been people up to recent years, maybe even still, who can tell you where in Scotland the people on certain roads came from, etc. I think their stepdancing came from Scotland as well.
I used to work in a rare book dealer's office and in some of the old books I remember seeing woodcuts of people being burned at the stake in the 16th C, or maybe even the 17th, in some of the religious persecutions that happened with the changes of regimes. So it did happen. Terron
 
A 'log' of memories and notions, however bizarre they may seem at the time, is an invaluable tool from telling fact from fiction. I am still surprised at the things I find in historic research which I'd already written down years before. The ratio of error is remarkably low.

But of course there is error. The human mind is a very easily fooled thing. Not only do memories deteriorate while we live, the process of amnesia we go through as we reincarnate certainly doesn't help. Moreover, we're bombarded with new sights and impressions before we begin to remember -- no wonder it's hard to tell the real stuff from the stuff we picked up on the way!

There's one thing I try to keep in mind at all times. If I remember something and it turns out to be incompatible with history, there is a reason my mind drew attention to it anyway; whether it is symbolic of something else that I need to deal with, or it merely puzzles me -- if it's strong enough to make an impact, it has a meaning. Quite like dreams, really -- I dreamed last night about purchasing a lame race horse, that certainly means _something_ because I remember it vividly -- but not that I was a damaged race horse in my past life.
 
Hi! I enjoyed reading your post and was particularly interested in the part about the socks. My five year old daughter does exactly the same thing! She doesn't generally like to wear socks at all, but when she does she insists on turning them inside out and cutting off the ends of the seams. She also hates to have anything tight put on her, and refuses to have anything directly around her waist or touching her belly button. At times it has been a HUGE struggle getting her dressed in the morning! I finally consulted with a psychic healer who traced this to a past life in ancient Egypt, when my daughter was being tortured for information by wrapping her up as a mummy while she was still alive. Her feet were the last thing to be wrapped. This knowledge has allowed me to be much more understanding of my daughter's unusual clothing habits!

Cheers,
Beth
 
-When I was little, I decided that I was a ninja. I would practice walking without being heard- it didn't work well. I also remember talking to myself about Mongolia, thinking I made it up- I was suprised it was a real place later.


I was obsessed with Alice in Wonderland and Victorian england, and I told people that I was named Alice. I don't think I was Alice Liddell or anything.


I also made everyone play a game I called taxes. There was a stamp at the top right hand corner, and some scribbles I called writing, and I made taxes hugs. Though I totally expected shkells? (?) in payment.


I also made everyone play a game with me where there were very specific details. There was a father with a black handlebar mustache, a brown suit a tall, willowy brunette mother wearing red colored dresses, a spinster aunt- maybe a widow, because she had to wear black- and a lacy cap. I always played the older sister, and there had to be a little brother who always got chocolate all over his face. My cousin Genevieve was always happy to play this with me, and would always insist on playing my mother.
 
Hi Koshka,


Could it have been 'sheckels?' This was actually a unit of money, I believe used by the Jews somewhere at sometime in history. It might bear a google search.
 
gillies & stepdancing


Hi Colibro--


I see that this is an old thread but I found it intriguing and did a little research--


I noticed that you mentioned Gillies & then later that you felt a familiarity with step dancing.


I have read that in 1924 gillies were introduced as a soft shoe for Irish step dancing, and that they were very close-fitting and laced around the top of the foot. They were and still are worn tightly with a seamless sock. So I can imagine how distressing and painful it would be to have a seam sticking out into your foot while dancing.


Also, as for the underwear and the tight belt-- during the 19th century women wore bloomers that were split down the middle, so there was no underwear per se. Since no one could get through all those skirts and petticoats while on the loo basically. And a lady would always want to cinch her waist to make it as small as possible; this did start in childhood unfortunately, girls did wear waists and corsets.


I feel a very strong draw to the same period and love celtic music as well! I hope this helps :)
 
Back
Top