• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

My Story

farmmom

Member
All of my life I have had a fear of heights. I never had an accident that would have created such a fear. My mother did tell me that from a small child I exhibited this fear. I have no memory of the fear as a small child. As a teenager I had falling dreams--which I read somewhere at the time was a normal occurrence.

One night, in my mid-teens, Mama came to my room and said you have to hear this. She and Daddy were watching Johnny Carson and there was a guest who was talking about past lives. All I remember was Mama saying "You must have died from a fall in a previous life". I don't recall it being odd or weird that this happened, just matter of fact.

Fast forward. . .I started having visions of me (never saw myself, just knew it was me) standing on a precipice and feeling the vertigo and extreme fear as a I was falling asleep. If I close my eyes again too soon, there I am again. I have to become fully awake and then try to fall asleep again.

I still occasionally have these dreams, but rarely. I can while wide awake imagine myself standing on the edge looking down and feel the same sensations. The most weird thing about it all is that the bottom of my feet tingle. It wasn't until I was in my mid-30's or so, that I discovered that my father had the same reaction to heights--the bottoms of his feet would tingle.

I have no other clue as to time or place. Don't know if this is a past life memory, or just a simple fear of falling that has hung on since childhood. All I know is that is does feel like a memory.

I look forward to your comments.
 
Hi farmmon


Welcome to the forum.


If it feels like a memory, it probably is. If you want to find out more about it, you can try exploring it with meditation. Rather than block it out when you get this image of standing on a precipice go into it more deeply. Just relax and ask yourself why were you there? What were you thinking? What was going on before this? Just go with the first thoughts that come and see where they lead you, even if it seems outlandish or anything at first. Just stay with it until you get the answers.
 
Welcome to the group. Yes, it sounds past life related to me. As you start to open up now you will probably learn more via dreams, intuition, regressions, etc. Take a look around here and look at the old messages. Also look at the video archives. Have you read any books on reincarnation yet? There is also a recommended book list.
 
Thanks for the welcome tanguerra & argonne1918


I read through the on-line chapter's offered by Carol Bowman and before finding this site ordered Ian Stevenson's book.


I can try to prepare myself to actually look if I can conquer the terror. I would like to know more about this. Having read through Carol B's Q&A on regression, there can be a lot of realizations and growth that come from exploring a past life.
 
Good things really can come from an understanding of our pasts, farmmom. It's a way to make sense of things that, on the surface, seem irrational.
 
Hello farmmom... from a farm dad! You are not alone in your fear of heights. When things like this surface in my own life I'm pretty certain they are related to a previous trauma. Just the knowledge that they come from another time is some consolation, and often and opportunity to learn. I think you will find a lot of good reading on the subject, it sounds like you already have. Check out Dr. Brian Weiss too!


And lastly... welcome! I'm glad you found us.


Tman
 
farmmom said:
...I can try to prepare myself to actually look if I can conquer the terror. I would like to know more about this. Having read through Carol B's Q&A on regression, there can be a lot of realizations and growth that come from exploring a past life.
If you find it too terrifying to actually be on the precipice, that's OK. Try 'sneaking up on it'. Try a meditation on what led up to that time. Why were you there? What were you doing? What happened before all that? Make yourself a promise that you don't have to go to the really scarey bit until you are well and truly ready to do so (and stick to it). It is well worth going to the effort if it might help you overcome the fear and the sleep disturbance that goes with it. It may take a while, but the results will probably be fruitful.


Don't worry too much about whether what you get when you first begin is a genuine past life memory or just some kind of 'allegorical' story or your imagination or whatever. It doesn't matter too much really. Whatever comes up for you will have some kind of meaning to your subconscious and will serve as an entry to whatever-it-is that's going on and what's causing this disturbance. Hopefully once you get to the source of the fear it will begin to dissipate. Once you've done that, you may find that the past life memories can come to the fore.


There are some good meditation tips and tricks here and here. When you're feeling in the mood give them a try and see which works best for you.
 
farmmom said:
I read through the on-line chapter's offered by Carol Bowman and before finding this site ordered Ian Stevenson's book.
Ian Stevenson is not that easy to read. He was writing to silence his skeptical peers who said he wasn't doing a rigorous scientific investigation. Carol Bowman in her first book "Children's Past Lives" said she realized that when she began her work. She did not have to repeat all the research that Stevenson did because he laid the foundation and she could pick up where he left off.
 
argonne1918 said:
Ian Stevenson is not that easy to read. He was writing to silence his skeptical peers who said he wasn't doing a rigorous scientific investigation. Carol Bowman in her first book "Children's Past Lives" said she realized that when she began her work. She did not have to repeat all the research that Stevenson did because he laid the foundation and she could pick up where he left off.
I am sure that I will end up with several books, Carol Bowman's included. I did read all the excerpts from "Children's Past Lives" and listened to her radio interview March 2013. Found it interesting that at about age 7 memories of a PL fade, but are still within us.


Last night, I did try and got the rush to the edge feeling and rejected it. Mentally told myself, you safe, you just want to see something before that. Nothing. I did dream of looking over a cliff into very dark water--dark blue or black. Next a figure in a long dress tumbling head or heels toward the water.


I felt no connection to the figure.


I worry that I manufactured this "memory".
 
farmmom said:
I did dream of looking over a cliff into very dark water--dark blue or black. Next a figure in a long dress tumbling head or heels toward the water. I felt no connection to the figure. I worry that I manufactured this "memory".
I think this was a past life memory. When people start remembering past lives they often think they are imagining or "Just making it up". But then as you get more memories and do research you will find it to be accurate. I wonder if it was an accident or was she suicidal?
 
farmmom said:
...
Last night, I did try and got the rush to the edge feeling and rejected it. Mentally told myself, you safe, you just want to see something before that. Nothing. I did dream of looking over a cliff into very dark water--dark blue or black. Next a figure in a long dress tumbling head or heels toward the water.


I felt no connection to the figure.


I worry that I manufactured this "memory".
Good work! That's a great first step. Something is coming up. Don't worry about whether you're 'manufacturing' it or not. Your 'imagination' (also known as the 'subconscious') knows what it's doing. Sometimes you will 'block' the emotions connected with a memory to shield yourself (especially since you 'promised' yourself you didn't have to be scared) which could explain why you didn't feel the 'connection' to the falling woman. It will become clearer before long I'm sure.
 
farmmom said:
I did dream of looking over a cliff into very dark water--dark blue or black. Next a figure in a long dress tumbling head or heels toward the water.
I felt no connection to the figure.
It's also possible your soul had already left the body and was simply "observing". This is very common for people to leave their body right before sudden death.
 
I did dream of looking over a cliff into very dark water -- dark blue or black. Next a figure in a long dress tumbling head or heels toward the water.
When you're feeling up to it and in the right frame of mind, it would be useful to think about this image. Close your eyes and relax and bring it back to mind. "Replay" it.


What kind of dress was she wearing? Was it a night dress or a day dress? What era does it look like? Modern or long ago? How long ago? Is the hair long or short? Up or down?


These sorts of things can lead to further information coming out. You might 'know' why you were wearing a particular dress for instance. Little details like this can be very helpful in unlocking what really happened and can lead to more memories of what led up to this incident.
 
Thanks for all of your help, tanguerra. The other night I just got a random flash of petticoats, hobnail boots*, and a whitewashed cottage with dark brownish shutters. The images made me feel happy. The setting I felt was a small village.


I thought it strange that was what popped to mind. My second thought as females don't wear hobnail boots.
 
Great work! It's coming along brilliantly. Females did indeed wear hobnail boots back then. Children too. They were the shoes of the poor because they were sturdy and lasted a long time without needing to be resouled.
 
tanguerra said:
Females did indeed wear hobnail boots back then. Children too. They were the shoes of the poor because they were sturdy and lasted a long time without needing to be resouled.
I didn't know that. They were round-toed. I learned something new or remembered something old. LOL
 
The information is all in there. You just have to give yourself space to retrieve it. You might find that once you get more details of what happened your fears will fade. It can be a bit emotionally draining, but it's always worth the effort.
 
Back
Top