• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

My Seven Year Old Son's Fear of Water

Rajmo6779

New Member
Hi all,


I'm fairly new here and have posted a couple of things on another thread here. I've been reading Carol Bowman's book, Children's Past Lives, and it's made me think about a problem with my seven year old boy. My husband and I are at our wits end with this...he is deathly afraid of water. So much so that he has to lie down in an empty bath tub to get his hair washed and if we accidentally splash water on his face or get it in his eyes (especially if we get it in his eyes) he has a panic attack. And it's plain water, not soapy water or shampoo.


He has been in swimming lessons once a week for more than a year now and still the boy cannot swim. He freaked out tonight when we arrived at swimming lessons and his teacher had left the company and he had to have an all new swimming teacher. I asked him why he couldn't just try the new teacher and he said, "She might not pay attention and I'll drown." The only thing that saved the lesson was that he was in a new lane and it was right next to the lifeguard, something I pointed out to him to ease his fears.


I have never asked him any questions about this, I haven't read enough of Children's Past Lives to know where to start.


When he was very little, about 18 months old, I took him to mommy-and-me swimming lessons and he was so fearless he nearly tossed himself out of my arms and I was the one who was scared. I'm not sure where this new fear has come from, but I have a hard time deciding if it started after his baby brother died. My husband and I have three sons. The middle son died when he was 3 weeks old, and this was when my eldest son was almost three years old. It's been since he was about four and a half or five, after my father died (he died 18 months after my middle son), that these fears have come up. He knows what dying is.


I just thought I would put it out to this group and see if anyone has any suggestions. Whatever we do, however we solve it, I want him to feel calm, comfortable, and confident in the water. His level of fear surpases that of any of the other children in his class, even the ones who are apprehensive. Several kids have graduated out of his little lane into the bigger lanes and still my poor son sits there, hating the lessons and scared.


Thanks for listening!


Rajmo


3/9/2016 Edit: Meant to say that he cannot put his face or head in the water. He cries and clings to the swimming instructor when they tell him to put his face in the water or go under the water. And when he practices floating on his back he has one little hand on the shoulder of the instructor, gripping hard. The fear is very, very real for my son and I've never seen another child in the swimming lessons who is that afraid. (Or any child, come to think of it, even when I was a little girl, none of my friends were that afraid of the water.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for you. My middle child, Emily, hit a point where she suddenly could not, would not, take a bath. I will try and post a link, but I don't know how much our experience will help you. She was much younger, for one thing. And it seems most of what I wrote early on in the thread is missing. Anyway, you are not alone.


As your son is older, he may not have any past life memories anymore, if he even had them in the first place. Have you asked him why, in particular, the thought of drowning scares him? You must have. Can you suggest to him that there are people who might think his fear comes from a past life? And, without offering more, see what he thinks about that idea.
 
Blueheart,


Thank you so much for your post! I will ask my son those questions. They are excellent. And I will even tell him tha tsome people think that we might live multiple lives. He's a clever little chap (if I do say so myself) so it might surprise me what he says in reply.


I'll post again after he and I have a chance to chat!


Thank you again for the post! I really appreciate your time! :)


Sincerely,


RM
 
Hi Blueheart,


Thanks for checking in, how kind of you!


I cancelled swimming lessons with the old place two weeks ago (had to give 4 weeks notice) and had our second of the last four lessons last Tuesday. It was an absolute nightmare. His usual teacher wasn't there, and it was a young man instead. He was kind of schmaltzy though not unkind. It became obvious to me within 10 minutes of the lesson that nobody had communicated to him that my son has an extreme water phobia. He took my son and dunked him all the way under, and by all the way under I mean that there was at least a foot of water above my son's head. When they came back up my son started screaming. The teacher didn't know what to do and started joking with my son and poking him in the ribs to make him laugh. It was a disaster. I went in and took my son out of the pool and we left early. I'm not going to make him take the remaining two classes if his usual teacher isn't there.


The following evening we had an evaluation at our local county pool with a private swimming instructor. It went beautifully. I had warned the manager in great detail and he chose a specific instructor for my son. The two of them hit it off immediately (probably helped that the teacher looks almost exactly like my brother-in-law, my son's favorite uncle). There is a little "shower" feature in the children's pool there and by the end of the evaluation lesson the teacher had my son walking under that with his face upturned to the shower. I almost passed out. LOL He did in 30 minutes what I've been trying to do for the last 7 years--get my son to put his face in a shower of water.


I have asked my son multiple times now what scares him so badly about the water. Each time he only says, "I don't trust the teacher to save me if I'm drowning." I need to probe more but am afraid of asking the wrong questions. I did bring up the idea of multiple lifetimes with him but he wasn't really interested in that conversation and changed the subject to Star Wars.


I bought Carol Bowman's book and am on page 75 now. I am hoping that by reading it I can come up with the right line of questioning, ways of nudging him without leading the witness, so to speak.


And in the last two weeks I've started going into his room at night, right before I go to bed and whispering to him in his ear that he is safe in the water in this lifetime, that he won't drown. I can't say that I know whether this is working, but I sure am going to try.


Thank you for sharing the link about your daughter Emily's fear of water. I read every post and was just amazed!


I wish I knew exactly the right questions to ask my son. He's 7 1/2 now and I fear that we're almost too late, the window is closing.


A bientot !


Rajmo
 
Your son sounds exactly like me, except that I'm not afraid of putting my face in a shower of water. Since I can remember I have always been afraid of swimming, which is odd because I've never had any bad experiences with water in this life. I think that my fear could very well be past life related also.


Based on what your son said about drowning, I don't have any doubts that he may be remembering a past life.


You can try to ask him why he doesn't trust his teacher.
 
Hi Gagagirl,


It's really a relief to have this forum to talk about this because the swim school just couldn't seem to understand that he needed private swimming lessons. They told me they reserve the private lessons for special-needs kids. He doesn't qualify for that but yet I think in his own world he does have special needs when it comes to swimming. His fear of water is so much more than the fear of other children. It's climb-the-walls-out-of-terror kind of fear of the water.


I haven't mentioned it before because I forgot about it until this morning (I've been reading Angelcat's posts in the Strange Burial thread and it reminded me), but several years ago, I woke up from a nightmare that I had about my son. In the dream, I was looking for him and I found him still alive, but just outside the opening of a water drainage pipe, and he was face up, but so deep in the water that only his nose and eyes and mouth were still exposed. In the dream he was a baby, the same age as he was in my waking/real world. I remember feeling weak in the knees in the dream, and like the air had been sucked out of me from fear of finding him like that. He was alive but terrified as was I. I honestly don't know that this particular dream was a past-life dream, but I do know that from the moment I found out I was pregnant with him I was scared that he would be taken from me. More so than in the sense that most new parents think about it. And when my middle son died, I remember thinking, "Well here we go again." Until that moment, in this lifetime, I had never lost a child.


I will ask him why he doesn't trust his teacher. It isn't all swim teachers. And it's not exclusively men, either. One of the teachers, Marie, was particularly grumpy and he told me he was scared that she would look away to attend to one of the other students in the swim class (there are four students to 1 teacher) and that he would slip into the water and drown. Ironically she is often the lifeguard at that swim school, and he's noticed, with optimism, when she is not the lifeguard on duty when he goes for swimming lessons.


What is the trick to asking a child questions? I'm not on that part of Bowman's book yet and tomorrow is swimming lessons night and the timing would be good.


Thank you!


Rajmo
 
I would try not to worry too much about asking him questions. The important thing is that he knows he can talk to you about his fear, and that you will take it seriously. He, most likely, does not know himself why he is afraid, and so further questions might not do much good. However, the idea that the fear might have come from *somewhere* has been presented to him now. Perhaps his subconscious will get to work and find him an answer that will help him move on. It sounds as if - whether or not the dream was factual - it certainly helped prepare YOU for this challenge. That is good.


I think reassuring him in his sleep is a great idea. I sure do hope he gets that private instructor, or someone similar!
 
Back
Top