• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memories vs. The Ego

StarrySoul

New Member
Hi everyone. I have another question. How come certain people who remember being 'known' have to act more important than others. What if their past lives are mistaken, and they just turn up to be a regular person. I have had a few relationships stop because of their ego getting in the way, and it hurts to think that they care more about the past than their current lives. After all we are all connected. No one is better than the other.
 
What source are you getting at? Maybe there can be a thread regarding life lessons and we work on them. Sure I admit I maybe have gotten egoistic on some respects but there are also some things I'm not proud of also. Can you also give examples please, it would be much appreciated? Thanks ^_^
 
Yes, Twilight's right. Most of our past lives are kind of a "mixed bag" - some things are good, and some are terrible. That goes for the "famous", as well as the "lowly". It could be that the people you refer to are failing to learn a life lesson, relating to humility, and living in the present.
 
Ego in us humans is an ever present voice trying to direct our actions. It acts out of fear and seeks to minimize our actions thus ensuring our apparent safety, all the while obviating the inspiration and gut instinct that provides our true direction. The truth to me is that we are spiritual beings in human bodies for a short lifetime...and that lifetime is most greatly enhanced when we spend less time listening to the ego than our spirit/soul.
 
StarrySoul said:
Hi everyone. I have another question. How come certain people who remember being 'known' have to act more important than others. What if their past lives are mistaken, and they just turn up to be a regular person. I have had a few relationships stop because of their ego getting in the way, and it hurts to think that they care more about the past than their current lives. After all we are all connected. No one is better than the other.
No, no one is better than another and no one has a 'cooler' life than another...I've been talking about reincarnation online and off for years now...I've interacted with many people and have read plenty of experiences. If there is one thing I've found is that those with that sort of attitude usually are on the wrong track identity-wise and change their mind about a year into it. I will get a 'flash in the pan'-'hey look at me' vibe. Though it may not be true all the time, I personally have never come across someone with a legit, researched, 'famous' past life with that sort of attitude. On the contrary, in fact.


If they seem to have the correct identity and are still acting uppity, then they're really not seeing the whole picture. Plus, living in the past is no life, regardless of who you were.


I don't know if by 'relationships', you mean 'friendships' or something romantic, but if these people use a past life to feed their ego or use it to one-up you, these are folks you can do without.
 
StarrySoul I've posed a similar question here asking how one can determine between imagination and a past life memory.


I think you might find the responses helpful
 
StarrySoul said:
I have another question. How come certain people who remember being 'known' have to act more important than others. What if their past lives are mistaken, and they just turn up to be a regular person. After all we are all connected. No one is better than the other.
Egocentric behaviour is sometimes problematic to both groups of people – i.e. those telling their story (whether the memories are real or false), AND those reacting to it.


Have you seen the movie ‘The Man From Earth’? If you haven't, without giving too much of the plot away, Oldman has held back from telling his friends and acquaintances anything, but he decides that his farewell party may be the opportune time. Even though they have a possible clue/evidence that his story may be the truth (his lack of aging over the years .... a ‘can’t see the wood for the trees’ moment), the inevitable, different reactions his story telling garners, parallels with what often occurs in real life, when a person makes the choice to speak openly about their past life memories. I could really sympathise with Oldman – I found myself smiling often in acknowledgement at some of the reactions he sparked, but also very angry at those of others. .... But, in the end (at death), even the strongest of skeptics will become aware of the truth.
 
I saw that movie. It was exceptional, and intriguing. I don't want to give the plot away either, but I found it to be relevant to the reincarnation community. Ego is necessary for us to function, but it pretty much gets in the way of so many other things. Mine has been a giant sand-trap at times - it has kept my soul from progressing. We must have all done things to protect our egos, or acted out of perceived injury to them, that we greatly regret. I wonder if the ego is a function of the personality, or part of the soul, and follows it through it's eternal journey?
 
Back
Top