they're hoping someone really is that savior, which I highly doubt will happen any time soon, looking at who Argentina has to chose from today.
Well, this sounds like every single country out there lately.
Now, I am not Argentine. I'm the Yanqui expat who moved here and got married. I am surrounded by portenos all day, from my work mates to my partner's family to the peeps on the colectivos/subte. Even my dog and little cat are rescues from the Argentine streets. Buenos Aires is my home. And I understand this country, and it's history, very well.
But before it was my home, I would fly down here and "vacation". I had so many preconceived ideas about how Argentina was. Honestly, probably these were due to that Madonna movie and some report I did about Peron in high school. 'Argentines lurrrrrve the Perons and talk about the good ol' days'...this is what I thought. This is what everyone thinks. Oh yes, and let's not forget the tango...people dance tango in the streets here, right? cover face
None of these things are accurate. Some of the stories I would hear about this country, the things that are far from the fairytale, would leave me scratching my head...but it wasn't until I was actually living here (NOT VACATIONING) did I understand. Argentines are completely different than people from the US and the most important differences are so subtle that you can't see them right away. The citizens now are not the same people who were here during Evita's lifetime.
It's obvious that you want to help. And I can understand, on a past life level, that the feeling is strong. But as someone who feels a pull towards a past life country as well, I can tell you that the Argentina that you remember (?) is most definitely NOT the Argentina that exists today. I've done the same thing with Germany and every time I've gone there, I was surprised, and let down, that it didn't match what I remembered.
Every Peronist does believe in some way or another that we're supposed to somehow come back when we're needed again, after all.
I've never once heard about this, and my Argentine family, cleanly split down the middle between Peronists and...uh, let's just call them "anti-Peronists", discuss politics quite a bit. And even if they thought this, I am not sure which Peronist splinter group would actually have the pelotas to even express this openly and loud enough to reach your ears.
Hahaha no, there's nothing to work out. Everything Owl said is 100% true. I think a lot of Peronists wish they'd come back...
That's what I mean by Peronists believing the Peróns will come back (not literally)-
Oh, I see...hm.
If I'm Eva and this isn't the reason for my life this time, I don't know what is.
Ok, so how are you going to do it?
I recommend to you, Chinita, that you harness your strong, warm feelings towards Argentina to something tangible. There are plenty of things to fix here (believe me), so you could probably pick any subject that grabs your interest and go from there.
I think it would do you some good to join some of the expat forums out there...they are geared towards English-speaking people that either live here or plan to live here. Just Google 'baexpats' and you'll find an excellent, hopping community. I also advise that you read the online newspapers, "The Herald" if you only speak English and "Clarin" if your Spanish is ok or you don't mind using Google translator. (Ohh yeah...Clarin. If you know anything about the political climate in BA, you'll understand what I mean here.)
What I don't want to see happen for you is to have a very romanticized idea of Argentina and her people, realize it's far from the truth when you get a little older, and become so disappointed that you end up not doing anything. If we're talking about things on a level of the soul and your purpose, that would be a step in the wrong direction, wouldn't it? But having an idea that you'll come here and enter politics is not a decision to be taken lightly and needs some reality and direction. For one, I don't know how you can enter politics without being a citizen, and Argentina probably has the most relaxed immigration policies on the planet. There is also a very healthy mood of suspicion towards all foreigners and their rose-colored glasses, so I wouldn't bank on people 'just knowing' that you're Evita and handing over their trust to you. If you're from the US in particular, you'll have even more of a problem.
Now, this doesn't mean that this couldn't happen for you. I don't want you to read this post and think I am raining on your parade or saying you can't do it. Not at all. But if you want to make a change, you need to know what's happening here and you need to work, not to only have a realistic view of the Argentine culture, but to also have some street cred with these people.
I love Argentina. Like I said above, it's my home and the home of my family. The culture is AMAZING, but unfortunately, the citizens have been completely shortchanged, and have been shortchanged for decades. It makes me very angry that the people I care about live this way, where I can just fly home if things get rough...so before you answer this post with, 'Oh yes, inhaltslos...everything you're saying, I already know,' stop and really think about if you do. Having online friends who live in Argentina doesn't cut it. Coming here on vacation and, I'd venture to say, even attending university here and living as "the foreign student" doesn't cut it, either. I've experienced and seen things here that I never thought I ever would. PM me sometime and I'll tell you all about it.
I do like the new Pope though -
I do, too!