• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

knowing more than a 3 year old should

mattsgma

Member
I have a 3 year old grandson that told us about he and his friend went hunting. He said that he shot a deer and that the deer was to heavy to bring out of the woods. So, he described how he gutted the deer and then was able to bring it out of the woods. My grandson, his mother and I were riding in the car and Matt, my grandson, said that his friend was waiting on him. When my daughter asked where his friend was waiting and why he was waiting, my grandson told us that his friend was waiting in the sky and that his friend was waiting for him to die. He also talked about "skeet-shooting" with his friend and how he accidentally shot at his friend, then his friend beat him up. He has told us this story over and over again for at least a year. Recently, he added that his friend had hit him in the back of his head. (Matt has dark brown hair with a blond streak which the beautician said was a birthmark.)Matthew hasn't slept well since getting off of the pacifier. It took forever for him to let it go. Whenever we would throw one away, somehow he found another one. Finally after searching the house for any remaining pacifiers, he has been "ninny-free" since August 21st of this year. But, he hasn't slept a full nights sleep since. He will wake up crying like his heart is breaking. The other night, he woke up screaming saying that I am not going to grow old, am I?? About a month ago, he was up at 1:50am, with a notebook and a pencil, doing his math homework. Figuring that he knew which college my son attended, I figured that I would trick him. So, I asked him where he went to school. He told me that he went to the red school that was made out of cement. (My son is a junior at Hampden-Sydney and Matthew has never seen the school). We asked him during one of these "talks", hiow old he was and he said that he was 12. Matthew can count to 10, but we haven't even worked past that. I realize that this is probably to long, but he is doing and saying so much stuff now, that its unbelievable. I could use some suggestions on how to react and deal with this and how to explain things to others when he talks about his friend to them. Thank you for listening. Believe it or not, it helps to tell someone.
 
Matt's Grandma,

Welcome to our Forum. You've come to the right place for help.

What you are describing, you will be happy to learn, is much more common than most people know. Not the exact details of your grandson's memories, of course. But his knowledge of details that a three year old just doesn't have access to, and repeating the same details over and over. The sleeping trouble could be related to some remorse or fear from a past life.

You can find full explanation and advice about how to respond to your grandson, and help understanding and explaining the phenomenon, in our book Children's Past Lives. We wrote it for people like you. You'll find it in many bookstores, or you can order it from Amazon.com.

One thing you can do right away is write down everything you can remember that your grandson says, and any new thing that happens. It'll help you to have it all in one place. Also, his memories will begin to fade soon and you'll want a record of it to show him when he'd older.

Steve


------------------
Steve Bowman
Webmaster, www.childpastlives.org
 
Thank you for responding so fast! I have emailed the Childrens Past Lives site before and was told to go out and buy the book. It took me 2 weeks to finally find someone who had it in stock! And then, I bought the last one! I have also contacted Dr. Jim Tucker with UVA. He has told me that everything was normal for a child who is remembering a past life also. We are supposed to go talk with him in January. I want you to know it is not that I do not believe in having a past life. It's just that, it's like a part of my brain, when it comes to this, just keeps kicking it back out. That is the only way I can describe it. You know how when you hear or see something that God thinks you can't handle, you block it out? Well, that is the way I seem to be handling this. Also, when Matthew's mother hears him talk like this, she breaks out in tears. This scares Matthew. There is so much stuff that he is saying and doing. Like at lunch today, he was talking about a horse that was out back. When we asked him what the horse looked like, he said that it had a hook. We took for granted that he meant a hoof. So we asked where the hook was at. He said that the hook was on the tail. Matthew's great grandma and mother started laughing and saying that he meant a hoof on his leg, but I automatically quit eating, the first thing that popped into my head was a picture of the devil. Is there anything that I can do to help Matthew with this, or better yet, to help me deal with this??
 
1st thing, Mat is not possessed by a/the devil. What he is saying/doing is perfectly natural. My own kids also have made referenced to their past lives (My 3yr old insists that she is 10). From your statements, I gather that you and your family are devout Christians, please try to keep in mind that early Christians altered the origional content of the bible to fit with their ideals and desires for power. Up until that point reincarnation was accepted as an established fact, and church leaders decided to eliminate references to it to gain more power over their followers; after all if you have more than one life to make yourself perfect enough to live with God, it gives and individual power. If you have only the one life, then you must get it right the first time. I reccommend going through the topic called "new discussion" under the Reincarnation & Christianity/Judiasm forum. The following is c/p from that discussion.

The so-decisively important doctrine of reincarnation, of rebirth as a human being through which the love and justice of God first became intelligible to human spirits, was only expunged from Christian creeds at the Council of Constantinople in the year 553, for purely political reasons in accordance with the wishes of Emperor Justinian I.

If your pastor is not open to this discussion, I suggest you seek out one who is, for your own peace of mind. If you are calm when he has these memories then they will be easier to understand and accept. One final thing to consider, God has said 'that you must be like the little children to come unto me' (sorry about paraphrasing that, but I am sort of rusty on my bible.) It has occurred to me that perhaps since so many children have these memories, it could be God's way of saying that the children are correct, and the adults are mistaken in their interpretation.

[This message has been edited by Galadriel (edited 11-06-2000).]
 
Dear Mattsgma...
(Can I call you "Matts" for short?)
Let me add my welcome to the forum and tell you how moved I was by your post.
I have little time right now, but I wanted to tell you that I agree totally with what Galadriel posted. I didn't get "devil" from a horse with a "hook" tail at all!
It's your first post, so I don't want to assume anything, but, with all this sort of "unusual" stuff happening with your grandson, I can imagine that you might be a little on the nervous side.
I have an 8-year-old step-grandson who refers to a previous life, so I know it can be disquieting...in fact jarring...at times. And there aren't a whole heck-of-a-lot of people you can talk to about it.
Well, continue to talk here. There are so many wise and compassionate people on this forum. It's a good place to vent...to bounce ideas around...etc. etc.
I'd love to hear more about your grandson, so I'll check back in a day or so.
Oh...before I forget...I'm so sorry that when you e-mailed you were just told to "go buy the book". It sounds so mercenary and I'm sure the web owners didn't mean to discount you that way.
White Light --- Gypsy
P.S. Galadriel: beautiful post. Excellent moderating, if I may say so. -- G.
 
Matt's Grandma,

I'm glad to see you are getting some good answers here to your plea for help. Allow me to add a few more comments.

If you want to read more now about the history of reincarnation in Christianity, you can go to "Dogma Bites Man" in the library on this website. It's an excerpt from the Children's Past Lives chapter "Adults and Their Religions."

The best way to not get upset about your grandson's statements is to familiarize yourself with as many cases as possible of other children doing the same thing. It won't feel as "weird" if you can see it happens all the time to other people too. You can poke around this Forum and find what other parents have posted, scan the Guestbook on this site, read some of the cases posted in the Ian Stevenson section of this site if you really want to expand your idea of what's possible, and read Children's Past Lives.

If you emailed Carol when you were told to read the book, I'd like to say something about that. Carol gets a couple dozen emails every day from people asking her for advice, sharing their past life memories, thanking her for her writing, etc. If she took the time to answer every one she would never have the time to write another book or research another case, so she's forced to be terse with most. (She does try to read them all, though the volume is increasing every day and it'll soon get to the point where she won't even be able to do that.) She doesn't have time to repeat each time what she worked so hard to say clearly in the book, so she asks anyone who emails her to read the book first before she can help. 90% of the time the book answers the parents' questions. Carol is double Libra and it pains her not to be able to respond to everyone and give them her full attention, but it's physically impossible.

Now, saying that, if Matt is particularly verbal, repeating many facts he has no way of knowing (maybe a "hook" in the tail of a horse is a technical term--did you ask a horse person?), Carol might be interested in interviewing you to record your case. Of course, if she does she will try to help you understand what is happening in the process. That's one reason why I suggested you write everything down, so you can share it with us and anyone else who might be able to help. Jim Tucker will prefer to see as much as possible in writing too, I'm sure.

I hope this helps. Keep in touch and let us know what unfolds for you and your grandson.

Steve



------------------
Steve Bowman
Webmaster, www.childpastlives.org
 
Dear Mattgma

Well I can't really add anything else onto what every body else has already mentioned about accepting all this reincarnation "babble" so easily, I can imagine it's hard when it's never been a way of thinking before and I can understand why your daughter would get upset, but you have to reassure her that there is nothing wrong in anything your grandson is saying, in fact you really should count it as special and record as many details as you can. What you must try to do is not ignore what is happening because it doesn't fall into your own belief system (I know this is hard, but you have obviously made some great steps already and I admire all what you have done so far to reach for answers).

Maybe by simply talking to us all here and listening to other people's opinions on what it is about all little Matt's talk that really frightens or bowls you over, you can find all the answers you need, I'm sure everyone here would love to hear more about the little darling and there are plenty of mothers who have shared similar experiences who can offer valuable advice and support, maybe you should even invite your daughter to read over some of the posts in here and maybe post her own concerns.

As for the sleeping problem, maybe by removing the passifier you have taken away a small measure of his security or comfort, I never had a passifier as a baby myself, but I always used to suck my thumb and still do from time to time, even at my age, maybe you could replace the passifier with a cuddly toy or a bedtime story, anything that has a similar comfort factor

And finally...the horse hook....well far from being alarmed and conjuring up images of the devil, I simply thought of a horse in costume, possibly a war outfit or show costume, he could simply be explaining an ornate covering used on horses in time gone by.

Well, I hope you keep sharing, and I hope we've been at least a small measure of help to you
 
I wrote earlier but had to end it because I had to go chase Matthew. I thought that I hit the submit reply button, but apparently not. So, if if another message comes through saying the same as this one then you'll know what happened. I did not mean to give the impression that I got the brush-off when I said that I was told to go buy the book. I took it as there was so much to tell me with so little time, that reading the book would help me more. As far as the book goes, right now, my son's girlfriend is reading it, and my sister has it after her. We cannot find a copy anywhere here, not the book stores or even the local librarys. I managed to grab the last copy off the shelf at an out-of-the-way Barnes and Noble. Everyone must be interested in learning about this. I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this, normally I am a very open-minded person. But, when Matthew talks about death, looking at me with those big brown innocent eyes of his, it's like I am supposed to be there to protect him, and I cannot even imagine what he is going through! He seems so sad at times!! And at one time, he was the sweetest little boy anyone could have asked for. I read the messages, but somehow, I am not comprehending them. Matthew is finally asleep for a little while, so I am going to go back and re-read them while everything is quiet. Thank you all for writing. Oops... Matt's awake. He doesn't sleep long (or soundly) anymore. He woke up screaming... DON'T, DON't!!! Here we go again!
 
P.S. Forgot to add: Matthew's pediatrician wants Matthew to talk to a psychologist. Ritalyn was mentioned, although not by the doctor. She doesn't know about any of this. Should I go ahead and take him to a psychologist?? Should I tell his pediatrician about this?? What effect would Ritalyn have on Matthew. (I guess they mentioned Ritalyn because they figured with him not sleeping, maybe he was hyper? (No, he's not. )
 
Dear Mattsgma

Ritalin is given to children suffering or "suspected" of suffering from hyperactivity or ADD, the drug has an awful lot of side effects, so I really think you should research this option before making a decision....I done a search on the drug for a friend recently and if you type in ritalin or even 'Attention Deficiency Disorder' on any of the search engines you will find plenty of information on all the possible effects, etc.

As to comforting Matt, I can imagine you feel quite lost at the moment with it all, so just comfort him and let him know that that was a long time ago, and he isn't that person anymore, so he doesn't have to be afraid, tell him to let go of all the feelings and reassure that you are beside him and won't ever let anything like that happen to him now....simply let him know he is safe and that all he is seeing is now in the past. As hard as you may find it, by simply going along with his stories and showing him that you believe in what he is saying should be enough to let him realise that what you are saying back to him is also true.
 
Hi Mattsgma,

Welcome - I trained horses for years and showed them. What comes up for me is -- horses that pull carts or wagons sometimes have a leather strap that hooks around the tail running up on the hindquarters with several reins and straps that go to the breast collar and then up to the bit.(I rode English and western horses but never drove wagons. It's hard to explain. I have seen this, but not used it).

When you asked him what the horse looked like - it seems to me that he was briefly describing HOW the horse was used. It pulled a cart. It had a tail hook; He sees it as a utility vehicle -- a tool, not a show animal or pet.

About Ritalyn - Ritalyn is a drug used for ADD and ADHD - it will not help him sleep -in fact just the opposite. The effects are similar to cocaine when someone without ADD uses it. I would highly recommend that you research ALL the positive and negative effects before making the decision. We live in a society that wants to get a quick "fix it pill" for everything. Pills do not cure the problem, they only mask it. His night mares will not be fixed with a pill.
Hope this helps. Keep us posted!

Love,
Deborah
 
Hi,

I'm following this thread, but don't have time to add anything now. Actually, the answers you're getting from other people seem to be covering what I would say at this point anyway.

I'm going to try to get Carol to look at this thread, and see what she has to say.

I can't tell you whether to go to a psychologist or not. But I can warn you that almost all do not take past lives seriously, and if a past life memory is at the root of the cause, the doctor will never see it.

Steve
 
(Again, I must not have hit the button!, but give me a break, it's close to 12am!) Yes, 12am and Matthew is still up. My husband woke up around 2:30am (last night) and Matthew had turned the TV onto the Cartoon Network. Matthew had fallen asleep before 5am though, because that is when the alarm goes off for my husband. Matthew woke around 8:30 this morning and has been full of himself since then. He "introduced" me to his friend today. (Big Breakthrough!). Matt and I were in the yard playing basketball when he began to talk about his friend, saying that his friend wanted to play. So, going along with him, I asked where his friend lived, maybe we could go get him. Matthew kinda looked at me like I was stupid, let out a breath of air, and said "My friend lives up in the sky"! I said okay, and went back to basketball. After a few minutes, Matthew told me to hold on for a minute, and went over to a tree in the yard. After what seemed like just a second, he came back. Me, assuming that he had gone over to the tree to go "potty", I started walking to the house. But something was different about Matthew. He was coming back with his friend! It gave me chill bumps!! Matthew had his arm extended like it was around his friends back and his hand was cupped like it was around his friends shoulder! He was talking to his friend, letting him know that everything was okay. He introduced his friend as "friend" and I held my hand out to shake "friends" hand. I asked Matthew what his friends name was, and he looked at me like, you dumb lady, and said I told you this was Friend! So, I told Matt that my eyes were hurting from being out in the sun and asked him what his friend looked like. He said that Friend looked like him, a black boy. I'm not sure whether I have said this or not, but Matthew is white. And then, the 3 of us played basketball!! I should tell you that somewhere down the line, Edward Teach, better known as Blackbeard the pirate, is (rumor has it, anyway) Matthew's great, great, great, great (not sure how many great's) grandfather. We have also obtained a will dated 2/13/1791 of a grandfather, down the line, that willed his slaves to his heirs, one being a little boy named Matthew Teachey. Well, it's after 12am now and Matthew is still going strong, but I'm not. Sorry my messages take so long, but Matthew is an awesome little boy and I could tell you things about him that would take all night. Thank you all for being there. I wish I would have known about this site 3 years ago, because Matthew has been saying things all along that we never paid any attention to. Benjamin Scott (Matthew's little brother) will be here in a few weeks and believe me, if anything like this comes out of his mouth, I've got my pencil and paper ready!!
 
Matt's Grandma,
I'm sorry that you and Matt seem to be so troubled by his memories. I believe that I told you to contact me after reading the book, if you still had questions. That is my standard response these days to requests for help. That way, I don't have to spend time explaining what I've already explained. But I do try to help those who need it.

I suggest that you e-mail me again and we set up a phone appointment. I can spend some time with you on the phone and give you some suggestions. If I can't help you myself, I will suggest that you find a therapist.

So please feel free to e-mail me again and I promise to respond.


------------------
Carol Bowman
http://www.childpastlives.org
 
Just checking in and letting you in on the latest on Matthew. He still isn't sleeping, last night,(or should I say morning!) it was 4:30am, the night before, it was close to 4am and the night before it was 3am! before he finally went to sleep. Matthew, his mother and I went to visit his mothers ob/gyn doctor last wednesday and when we walked into the main building, Matthew said I want to see the dinosaurs. We couldn't figure out what he was talking about. But, he kept insisting. When we walked into the doctors waiting room, Matthew went straight for the center table to a dinosaur book. The nurse said that they had just put those books out that morning!! There was no way Matthew could have seen those books before!! He cries uncontrollably saying that he can't sleep because he is to scared of the things that he sees. We have gotten to where we have given him dimetapp to help him sleep and I do not believe in that!! He wasn't feeling well earlier this week and I called his mother to tell her to bring him some medicine. He came up to me seconds later, and told me to call her back, that if she came now, we would never see her again! Needless to say, I called her back! I know I was silly doing that, but if you could have see the importance of what he is saying in his eyes and in the tone of his voice, you would have called her back too! He is really a special little boy and very "grown-up" and mature for his age. Don't get me wrong, there is still alot of 3 year old in him, but something is different and if you talked to him once, you would see it too! Well, he is quiet right this minute, so I had better check out what he is doing. I'll write later. (Matthew's baby brother, Benjamin Scott is going to be here on December 12th, (by induction), if he hasn't come before then). By the way, Matthew was born "sunny side up" (face upwards) if that means anything special to anyone!
 
Hi Matt's Grandma,

I really appreciate all that you're saying here. As an extreemly intuitive child myself (and, as an extreemly intuitive adult now), please give Matt all the support that he needs. I'm sure you and his mother (your daughter?) are doing your best.

I don't know what your schedules are like day to day, but would it be so horrible if you let him stay up through the night (gave him books to read, games to play with etc), and for one of you (in the house) to be up with him as well? By letting him sleep through the day, and stay awake at night, he will still be able to get his 8-10 hours of sleep that he needs (hopefully, just as long as he's willing to try), and I expect him to be a happier boy.

Speaking from experience, this may later build into a situation of trust. It's important for him to be able to trust himself in that he is making the right decisions for himself (no matter how old he is). It's also very important for him to know, and for you and his other caregivers to show him through actions just how important he is to you and that you want the best for him. Maybe what's the best for him, isn't what's best for 'everyone else'.

I read in a column several years ago that Elvis (Presley, not Stojko) also refused to sleep during the night. He would instead sleep all he wanted during the day. It doesn't mean you're lazy, all it means is that you have a different time set aside for when you sleep.

Sleeping through the day and staying awake at night also isn't so out of place anymore, now that the world has gone from dusk to dawn to 24/7, working all day, every day. It's important for him to know that he's healthy and normal. Even though this type of behaviour isn't common, he's still a normal healthy boy.

I know for myself how important it is to listen to your intuition (and for you to follow his lead when he tells you that something is wrong). Through my own experience, it has been when I stopped listening to, and started ignoring what my intuition told me to do, is then that I got into the most trouble (dangerous situations) of my life. Maybe taking the Dimetap isn't the best solution for this little boy's life. If you can give him some finger paints and crayons, he may be able to much better express himself in that way, than in any other words.

Hope you're all having a great day.
Take Care, -Kathy.
 
That sounds like a great idea. But apparently I didn't explain well enough. He dosen't sleep during the day either!! He gets up around 8:30am, no matter what time he went to bed the night (or morning before). He gets up and turns the tv onto the Cartoon Network or the Weather Channel. He is sleeping with us now. He has learned how to unlock and open the door, and as far as a deadbolt goes, he can push a chair over to the door and unlock that. He is not a dumb kid by a long shot. (He takes the end of the broom handle and turns the wall light switch on with that!) Like I said before, I don't know what I am trying to find here, it just helps to talk. Everyone that comes into contact with Matthew, well, they can tell there is something "different" about him. I am the one who feels crazy I guess!
 
Hi Matt's Grandma,

We haven't heard from you in a while. Hope all's going well and that you're enjoying your holiday season.

Take Care, -Kat.
 
Been very busy and very amazed with Matthew. His little brother was born December 13th. Matthew was one of the first 4 people to hold Benjamin Scott Teachey, within a few minutes after his birth. (Matthew was actually in the room when Scotty was on his way out.) He was on the bed with "Scotty" on his lap, when he reached over and touched the baby's cheek. He looked at us and said "Isn't he perfect?!" The nurse couldn't believe that a 3 year old had said that. Matthew was talking to Scotty and when we asked what he told him, Matthew said that he told Scotty that once he could understand, Matthew would take him to meet his friend! The doctor told us that only 2% of the babies born in the US, were born sunny-side-up. (face up). Both Matthew and Scotty were born sunny-side-up. Scotty is already doing things like Matthew did. For instance, before Matthew was born, we went to get his mom an ultrasound. He was just sitting there in the ultrasound looking like he could see us and I said "Well, do something" And Matthew waved! (We have this on video from the doctors office!) and the same routine happened with Scotty. (and that too, is on video). On Matthew's first day home, everyone was around talking and cooing over him, and he put his hands on his bottle and "took" it from my cousin, who was holding him at the time. Tonight is Scottys first night home, my son's girlfriend was in the livingroom with him, giving him his bottle and Scotty just started holding it on his own. She yelled for us to come there and we took a picture of him holding his bottle. May not mean anything to anyone else, but it raises the hair on our heads! Thats not all, Matthew has, a few times, lost body temperature, down to 95.3 degrees. We checked his temperature 3 different times with 3 different thermometers and they all said 95.3. When Scotty was in the nursery at the hospital, his temperature dropped, not that dramatically, but we had experienced Matthew doing this, and it just hit home. I am probably making too much out of all of this, but things are happening real fast with both of them. Like I said before, we will be sure to pay close attention when this one starts talking. I have had an offer of a local hypnotist to come and talk to Matthew sometime soon. I'll keep you informed on what happens. Maybe this is all a fluke, but it has our attention for sure!
 
Wow, Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. I can well imagine that you'll be watching Scotty like a hawk.

Congratulations and all the best, Take Care, -Kat.
 
Sounds like you have two incredible beings in your family. What a blessing!

There are some other websites you might want to check out which have information about children with special gifts like Matt and Scotty. At the very least you will find out that you are not the only family with gifted children, and you may also find out some important infomration and contacts fro understnading Matt and Scotty and helping them find their highest and best potential this life.
The websites are:
www.psykids.net www.indigochild.com

Blessings,

Bob
 
Hello,
I'm not surprised at allat your story. Your grandson does not lie, he says what he feels and knows. My own story is a bit unbelievable. When I was a year and a half I remember that I felt that I was having thoughts and ideas of adults. I also wondered how it was possible that I was having such a small body and thoughts not belonging to it. From that moment on I knew that there really was something like reincarnation. I knew I would never forget that day. I did not forget it, now I'm 30 and I know it was reality. I still do believe we all come back and may remember past lives. Bye for now. Take care of your grandson.
 
Dear Mattsgma,

When I was Matt's age, I also had problems with nightmares and sleeping.

My parent's solutions to the problem were simple and natural. I was given a small cup of hot milk with a bit of sugar in it before bedtime.

My father usually tucked me in, we said a short prayer together. Then my father asked God to protect me from bad dreams.

Even though I didn't know who God was, for some reason this worked so well that I reminded my Dad when he forgot the prayer.
 
Matthew and I were walking out the front door the other day. (Someone has recently started building a house across the street)Matthew stopped cold on the front porch and when I asked him what he was doing. He said I don't like that vacant house across the street, it has monsters in it. Now, do I tell him that there are no such things as monsters or what?? I don't know what he sees. And to confuse everyone even more, no-one that I have asked has told Matthew that the house was "vacant". We have said that the house was being built, that no-one lived there yet, no-one has bought the house...things like that. But vacant describes a place where someone has lived in the past, right? Okay, any suggestions about this monster thing would sure be helpful right now.
 
HI Mattsgrandma,

Well, If you look up Vacant the following describes the meaning of the word:

va*cant (adjective)[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin vacant-, vacans, present participle of 'vacare' to be empty, be free]
First appeared 14th Century.

1 : not occupied by an incumbent, possessor, or officer
2 : being without content or occupant <a ~ seat in a bus> <a ~ room>
3 : free from activity or work :
4 : devoid of thought, reflection, or expression <a ~ smile>
5 : not lived in <~ houses>

Have you tried asking him what he thinks a MONSTER is? His understanding may be different from yours. (Just a thought)

Love,
Deborah


[This message has been edited by Deborah (edited 12-19-2000).]
 
Just checking in. Matthew and Scotty both were sick over Christmas. Scotty was even put in the ICU in isolation for close to a week. (He went in Christmas night and got out New Years Eve)He has something called RSV. Matthew went to ER on December 27th and had to have an IV because he was dehydrated. Now, he is being tested for having diabetes. Matthew was so weak by the time we made it to the ER that really all he could do was lay there. But by the time the dextrose? kicked in, (it was around 4am and the ER was very quiet) Matthew sat up on the bed and started singing, rather loudly, I might add, Who let the dogs out?! When Matthew's mom brought him back from the bathroom, Matthew looked behind the desk at the board and said "Hey you, doctor, Is that my xray? Kinda blew everyone away. Well, I'll write back soon.
 
Hi Matt's Grandma, your grandkids never cease to amaze me! It's really amazing how much kids really do know. Keep your eyes and ears open! All the best for the new year ahead. Take Care, -Kat.
 
These are some cool kids! When I was expecting my youngest, my older son--then two--became interested in fetal development. He would astound doctors and nurses by talking about how "the zygote grows into an embryo..." etc.

My older son has also developed fears of "monsters" and we've dealt in several ways...I gave him his own monster doll (a H.R. Geiger figurine) and explained that she is his friend and no monster in its right mind would ever go near his bed when he has something that scary-looking protecting him. I also established what he was afraid a monster might do (he was scared that they'd eat him, and that they might just try to scare him). After assuring him that the only thing in our house that bites is the baby, I explained that you can't be scared and laugh at the same time. I gave him a piece of paper with a funny drawing and told him if he's scared, just look at the picture and laugh--then any monsters that want to scare him will realize they can't get a reaction, and they'll go away! These measures, along with some relaxation training and visualization (imagine a sphere of light around you, protecting you...nothing can get in if you don't let it) have pretty much worked.

I should add that my elder son is very sensitive and intuitive, too, and that our house has something invisible in it--boggarts, mischevious but benign critters that sometimes hide stuff and return it days later. I think he perceives the boggarts sometimes, and like many other kids gets scared by the sheer weirdness.

About sleep: when I was a kid I required about four hours of it per day. Usually these were between eleven at night and three in the morning. It drove my mom nuts, but eventually I just learned to play or read quietly while my parents were sleeping. Would it be possible for Matt to do this until his sleep need increases; or does he really *need* more sleep than he's getting?

In summer, I still go nocturnal. Heat and sunlight make me sleepy in the day, and I end up waking up an hour or so after dark...Luckily my kids are the same, so I'm never totally out of phase with them.

cashew (sweet li'l nut)
 
Well, Matthew and Scotty seem to be doing better. Matthew's sugar test turned out negative and the recent urine test showed no more bacteria or old blood. Matthew's granddad, Matthew and I were in the truck coming home the other day and Matthew saw some extremely tall trees. He said I remember when I climbed a tree that tall. I said oh yeah? when was that? And he said once a bear (he used a very southern accent on the word bear) chased him to the top of a tree that was like that one. And the bear had teeth as sharp as a sharks. Could all this be just his imagination? It's been 18 years since my youngest was this small, I don't remember either of them having this much vocabulary or imagination.
 
Checking in again. Matthew had a visit from a local past life regression hypnotist the other day. She said that as far as she was concerned, with the birthmarks, the knowledge and by talking with Matthew, that he is telling the truth about what he is remembering. She also said something else I had never heard. She said that when Matt talks about his past life that he looks to the upwards and to the right. That when he does this, he is looking into his "right mind" where his memory is. When she would ask him ?'s about his friend or his dying experience, he would say "Wait a minute" then go off to a corner and whisper. Then he would come back and tell her that he just couldn't talk about it right now. Anytime that his mother or I would start to talk, He would tell us to hold on for one minute, that he needs to talk, not us. He even asked her if she was his doctor. Matt and his mom were sitting on the sofa today and Matt pulled the cover over the empty cushion. He told his mom that his friend was cold. As far as asking Matt for advice about what to do, when I ask him any ? concerning his friend or what he is going through, he looks at me like I am already supposed to know all of this and I should be the one to answer all of his questions.
 
Back
Top