• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Kiss on the palm of the hand

rynen

Member
I just remember "The kiss on the palm" from I, his son, to my father to show him my love but especially respect and devotion.

It was in ancient times. But I never found out which culture that gesture could have belonged to...

So, if there are any historians or wise ones or even some lucky guesses as to what culture might be meant here (especially in the regard of a younger man showing that way respect and devotion to an older person , in that case father), it'd help me out tremendously!!!
 
Hello rynen,


This is what I found on a very short look this morning in internet...which by the way, is filled with info...


In Turkey, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei and the Philippines, hand-kissing is a common way to greet elder people of both genders. After kissing the hand, the greeter will draw the hand to his own forehead.


Greetings from the North Sea...
 
Thanks Aelfgyva!!


This gesture in my memory didn't seem to have involved the forehead/head and wasn't usual at all. I felt that it was just me at that moment going out of my way to demonstrate how deeply I admired/respected and loved my father because it was in a context of war (either coming back or maybe expected to go...).
 
Back
Top