• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Hypnotic Regression

PastPilot

PastPilot
I booked myself for a hypnotic regression session at the end of this month. I was looking over Michael Newton's web info and found a list, by city, of people who do hypnotic regressions and discovered one in my area. She doesn't actually charge very much, which surprised me.

This won't be the first time I have gone for a regression. The first time was many years ago and wasn't very successful. I don't think I was hypnotized. Michael Newton pointed out, in one of his books, that some people cannot be hypnotized, or find it difficult. I may be one of these people.

How can I prepare myself to help with the process? Can anyone be hypnotized? Did I just have a bad first time experience?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
PastPilot said:
How can I prepare myself to help with the process? Can anyone be hypnotized? Did I just have a bad first time experience?
Although I personally had an interesting first regression about twelve years ago, I don't think I was prepared to understand what I experienced. The second regression nine years ago with a different professional was a complete farce and a profound disappointment. But, when I finally met with Carol Bowman two years ago, the experience was quite rewarding. The one thing I learned from these experiences over the years is that regression is more than an event—it is a process. Each professional you will meet will be different, and each procedure will be different. But the biggest variable is yourself.


I think the best way to prepare for the process of regression and discovery is to read, meditate, exercise, and—most important—separate yourself from ego-oriented expectations. In other words, don't expect any profound revelations that you were any more important in a past life than you are in this life. Whatever memories you may recover in the regression process will only be tiny windows into a vast and incomprehensible world; and I think that the best result of such an experience is to realize that there is more to life than what we see in the mirror.


As for hypnosis, I think it is extremely difficult to nail down what hypnosis is, let alone being able to determine whether we can be hypnotized or not. Understanding hypnosis is part of the process. After all, if you have ever daydreamed while driving a distance and missed your exit, you were probably hypnotized. It is nothing like the apparent sudden trance invoked by stage performers, who seem to be able to make volunteers behave like chickens and monkeys.
 
I had heard that some people cannot be hypnotized. The notion was that they haven't disciplined their minds enough to let go of the stimuli of the moment. I've never tried to be truly hypnotized. I probably would be one of those who was just too interested in what was going on around me to let go.


If you don't mind a little OT, I have seen a documentary on hypnotism where they allegedly hypnotized a guy to forget the number 3. Whether it was staged or not, the guy sure seemed puzzled when asked how many fingers he had on his hands and he proclaimed "ten", and was then asked to count them. He kept coming up eleven. This had me wondering if hypnotism could forge a psychic link. If you hypnotized someone to raise their left hand every time another person raised their right, for example, and then had the one person leave the room and raise his right hand, would the hypnotized person raise his left?
 
\ said:
It is nothing like the apparent sudden trance invoked by stage performers, who seem to be able to make volunteers behave like chickens and monkeys.
There are two major differences between this and what you will most likely experience in a therapist's office. First is the type of induction (the process by which you are brought into a hypnotic state). Brian Weiss at least always uses a slow, meditative induction (like you will hear on CDs or see scripts for) with first-time subjects and at workshops for groups. He also does use a rapid induction similar to the "stage performers", but only if the subject is comfortable with it, which personally I wouldn't be.


Second, and more important in my opinion, is what the therapist does while you're hypnotized. I like to think of it as a state in which you have root (administrator) access to yourself. Weiss was very good about always suggesting that you see and do things rather than commanding you to do them, allowing you to remain in complete control of your own experiences. The stage performer does not automatically have power over you by you being in hypnosis, but since your ego--the part telling you not to act like a chicken--is not at the forefront of your mind like usual, you might not feel there's anything wrong with the performer's command. As far as making someone forget the number three... that disturbs me. It shows how powerful this technique is, but I feel that its power could be better and less hurtfully demonstrated by healing someone rather than breaking them. I really hope they hypnotized him again afterwards and made him remember 3 again.


Now, this is one thing that bothered me as well before I went to the workshop: I thought that in hypnosis I would be somehow less conscious or less in control of myself. This was not the case in my experiences; in some ways I felt more clear-headed than normal. I wouldn't say that my ego was "turned off", but that it was watching and commenting on the movie instead of sticking its face in front of the camera. I thought, before the workshop, that I would have to not judge the things I was seeing or else I wouldn't see anything, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to do that because I love to judge things. :rolleyes: It's more that you have to not let your judgement of things stop them from happening, because in that state you do have the power to stop them from happening (or at least stop yourself from experiencing them). As I described in my experiences, there was a point where I was very conscious of the fact that I was judging what I was doing, but doing it anyway for a different reason. Come to think of it, this was a great experience of the difference between ego (the judging part) and what is really "me".
 
Hello :)


You must be really looking forward to the regression, so I wishing you plenty of *Good Luck*. I hope it goes well for you.


I think you have been some excellent advise from Nightrain.


I find it difficult to be hypnotised so to speak myself. In the regressions I underwent, I would describe my experience as more of a spiritual type journey. The therapist probably spent much more time, preparing me for the past-life experience.. than in taking me through the past life itself.


The best advise I can give you, is to not try to analyse the experience too much. Be open and authentic to what you feel and see.
 
Shiftkitty said:
I had heard that some people cannot be hypnotized. The notion was that they haven't disciplined their minds enough to let go of the stimuli of the moment.
I think this may be my problem. Although I have had many past life flashbacks and had many dreams of past life events, the only time I was hypnotized by anyone was barely a success. I had a hard time keeping focused.


Many years ago I had a flashback that lasted about 15 minutes depicting my life in the first crusades as a young knight. During the flashback there were a few times where my consciousness started to ask questions and I could feel myself coming out of the trance, but I relaxed and put myself back in. This worked because I really wanted to see what I was being shown. I am supposing that this is similar to what a hypnotic trance would be like, although with the first crusade flashback, it did not feel like a deep trance. I felt like I was just on the edge.


The regression I had about 20 years ago did not get me into a trance at all, but I still had two short views of a two past lives. One was from ancient times and the other was from the first world war. They were just short snippets, without emotion and without explanation. I have had flashbacks that have come because I asked a question, "Why does this road look so familiar to me?" and then I was shown why and usually these come with explanations, as did the first crusade flashback. However, my first attempt at a regression was not very successful.


I am hoping that this time around I will be have better results as I have more faith in this hypnotist than the last. I will start meditating daily to get myself prepared, and I will try to visualize peace and contentment. I have a very busy mind, made worse by the heavy workload I am dealing with this month.


It is exciting, which I am hoping won't make my mind too busy.


I am not going in with any expectations nor have I any thoughts about having been someone famous. In all the flashbacks and dreams I have had over the years, I have only been a soldier. I met a few famous generals/leaders, because they addressed their troops, but I was not famous myself. I was just part of the rank and file.


Thank you for all the advice. If anything transpires from the regression, I will post it.
 
Don't feel you can 'never' be hypnotized just because your first try wasn't successful. Mine wasn't either. But a few tries after that were more rewarding...It takes time, practice - and not overthinking it. I think most people can be hypnotized, sometimes it's easier depending on the setting, the person working with you, how ready you are to see your past lives, etc.


I've heard that the best way to have a more successful regression is to practice meditation/quieting your mind as well as listening to regression CDs at home (when your not putting pressure on yourself to 'see something').


These are two I have used w/ success (not the first time, but after a couple sittings I have started to get small glimpses). I highly recommend both of these to anyone who is wanting to prepare for a regression, or just want to learn more about their past lives privately! :thumbsup: Hope this helps you.


http://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Time-Regression-Emotional-Spiritual/dp/1561709298/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1339807005&sr=8-4&keywords=brian+weiss+regression+cd


http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Your-Lives-Roger-Woolger/dp/1591791839/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339807105&sr=1-1&keywords=roger+woolger+regression+cd
 
I don't think the "disciplined minds" thing was intended to be derogatory. It may have just been me not quite remembering the actual phrase used. The gist of it was that some people can drop into a meditative state more easily than others, and the proposed reason behind it, in most cases, was simply that some people are used to responding to a great deal of external stimuli, probably as a result of our busy lifestyles. If you think about it, many of us can type on a keyboard, chat on a cell phone, and pay attention to a TV show all at the same time. We may not be devoting 100% of our attention to any one item, but we are paying a good degree of attention. It takes a bit of discipline for some people, especially these days it seems, to be able to focus on one source of stimulation. They can do it, they're just not used to it. So while they're sitting with the hypnotherapist, their minds are lunging at a mile a minute on many different topics, some trivial (did I set the DVR?) and some more serious (how am I going to afford that car repair?).


So again, I don't think it was meant to put anyone down. I may have just selected the wrong words.
 
Ah, okay. I read the article you linked. I'll bet that guy puts himself in the top 10%! (It does sound arrogant, eh? "Don't follow instructions well..."? That sounds like he's blaming the client. "I'm doing it right. You must be the problem!")


I hadn't thought about the visual versus verbal. My husband is very visually oriented, and he doesn't hypnotize very well. He has been to professionals and it just doesn't work. He doesn't give in to trances and only uses meditation as a form of pain control. (He's a chronic pain patient.) I just asked him about his thoughts and he said that your idea sounds about right. He said he spent more time trying to turn words into imagery and it just didn't take root.
 
My regression


I fell asleep with a regression cassette years ago. I made it myself.Just recorded my voice onto the cassette.I got the idea from a book I was reading in 2000 cannot remember which book sorry. I think hearing your own voice is more calming and familiar.Anyway I fell asleep and woke up in the middle somewhere and went through a tunnel and got out of the end in England! One of the most wonderful experiences in my life.I will cherish it always. I heard the wind blowing in my ears as I was stepping on the coastal clean fresh grass walking in the first person.But got too excited and after about 15 seconds travelled back again through the tunnel and the green scenery got smaller and smaller, closed up and faded into black.Just like the movie -somewhere in time-Christopher Reeves experienced the same scene.But I was not dreaming I was there!Truly amazing.It was between a deep sleep and awake state. You know you are in your bed in a very deep sleep but you cannot open your eyes because you are very relaxed.Your body is sleeping but your mind is awake.You have to keep trying many times for the PL Reg to work I think and actually have to strongly believe in it.
 
Well... I discovered I cannot be hypnotized. I felt myself going into a trance, which lasted only a short time, and then I came out again. Perhaps I was in a trance and just did not realize it, but it didn't feel like a trance. Still, I was able to talk with the hypnotherapist for a few hours and that discussion was very interesting. She was trained by Michael Newton and so we were able to discussion both my experiences with past life memories and her related experiences with clients. All-in-all, it wasn't a wasted day, but it just wasn't what I had hoped for.


When I get the time, when I am in a different place, I will get back into meditation and see if I can do this without the need of a hypnotherapist. Right now my life is far too busy to do this, but I am hoping that within the next 6 months, my life with quieten down a bit to allow myself to relax and get back into meditation.
 
Hello Past Pilot. I just glanced over the thread, and like you, I am also too busy for meditation, but wish I had the time for it. I had my first regression 2 weeks ago and it was very intense and I'm surprised and grateful that I could regress. I have so many fears that tend to take over my life, and the regression showed me a few reasons why. Now, that time is passing, and the experience is fading, I am scared I will forget the intensity of the regression. I was really hoping that my fears would subside after my regression. They may have a little, but it wasn't a cure all for me. I think I probably need meditation/ more regression to break my bad thoughts, fears and habits.


Anyway, I really thought it would be impossible for me to be hypnotized, but I went into it with an open mind, and I really really wanted to see who I was before and if this may be one of the reasons psycho therapy does not get me anywhere in regards to these issues. Maybe it's difficult for you because you're telling your self you "can't, and "couldn't" do it. I rarely have success with things I tell myself I can't do.


The most difficult thing I found with regression is just trusting what you see. How do I know it's real, not imagined? After the regression I was sure these events took place, then as I began analyzing it, I began to question it. I need to stop myself when I do that, because I did not take control of my thoughts at the time. They were pure thoughts, but life has a way of making you not believe yourself, and not to believe IN yourself, doesn't it?


Every few days I try to come back to the forum, or read something on regression so it's fresh in my head and I don't get too busy to remember I need to work on these memories, in order to heal my fears.


I really hope somewhere along the lines you are able to experience regression, and I'm sure if you stick with it and take a day to completely separate yourself from this life, you will have the ability to do so!
 
Regression


Its not a question of thinking "Can't" or "Cannot". I have read as many as 40% of people have difficulty being hypnotized, and I just happen to be one. That is not to say I do not get flash backs or memories to past lives... I do, and fairly often, which is very similar to being hypnotized. When I meditate on a regular basis, these memories come more often, both in dreams and in trances. However, being hypnotized is quite different. I have tried being hypnotized before without much success. That is just the nature of things. My best bet is to get into meditation, but at this time in my life I live with a roommate from hell who doesn't understand the term "Personal Space". Because of finances, I am stuck in this situation for a while longer, but am trying to find ways I can get away to meditate. Not easy, but I am still trying.
 
I'm not sure if i can or not...but even being in 'trance' was unsuccesfull for me...I have a hard time relaxing when they ask you to...
 
i'm not diagnosed but i might have a slight form of autism, autistic behaviour, or something like that..., so its harder for me to not 'focus' on something and just let it go... so i don't know how this is ever going to work. And if i do feel relaxed or try to get into a trance, i'm afraid i'll make things up, cause of my great imagination and visual thinking.
 
I once had a course of mindfullness ... and we had a task, to get rid of all the bad memories in our lives, by using objects as symbols... everyone had to make their things linked to some bad experiences in their lives... for example, one was putting leaves, sticks, music instruments, on the floor, for something in his life that was not a nice experience...


The problem with me was, that i didnt get rid of all the bad memories by using the objects, but kept the image of the objects in my head... So my brain works different.


So what about hypnotic regression and a different brain?
 
Back
Top