• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

How to appropriately handle 4 year old's "memories"

SYO

Member
Hello all - first time poster here.
My four year old has been mentioning Hitler off and on for at least a year; I assume he overheard me talking to his older sister about WWII. He has sometimes talked about "before I was in your belly" and made other references to times before he (or others) was born. All of this I've taken with a grain of salt - I am open to the idea of reincarnation but have no personal experience myself.

However this morning he was a bit more concrete, telling me that "Hitler shoot me down, and you and [my sister] too" and "my house died" and "Why is Hitler in this world?" and "But now [Hitler] is died, and he is in a far faraway place." He seems to be clear that this happened in the past, before he was in my belly, and that Hitler is dead now. (This at 6:30 am this morning, having just climbed into bed with me, while I was still barely awake.)

My question is, what is the most "healthy" way to handle these types of statements? Do I ignore, encourage, reassure? My instinct is not to make a big deal about it, reassure him he's safe now, and not ask leading questions. He is not upset at all when he tells me these things; he's very matter-of-fact. He is a cheerful, well adjusted kiddo with no apparent anxiety or unusual thoughts/behaviors.

A bit more info for those interested: He has asked me before "Was Hitler a bad baby?" and "Was Hitler's mom bad?" Once when I was explaining that bacon comes from pigs, he asked "how did the pig died?" - then immediately, "Did Hitler do it?" He's told me that sometimes when you "get old age" and die you turn into somebody else, and that "when you die you can sometimes turn into an animal."

Looking forward to members' thoughts. Thank you!
 
Hi SYO


Welcome to the forum.


I've moved your thread to 'Childrens Past Lives' as we have a whole section for children and I think it goes better here.


I'm sure other parents will have lots of good advice for you as well, but the most important thing to do is to just take him at his word, rather than try to convince him that it's his imagination or a story he's heard or whatever. That's step number one.


If he seems distressed reassure him that this was before and he is safe now, but as you say he doesn't seem upset about it, so that's great.


He might have heard you talking to his sister about WWII which may have sparked this off, but that doesn't mean he's making it up. Little kids often remember quite a bit about their past lives, although it fades away usually by about 6 or 7 years old in most cases, although not all.
 
Welcome to the forum. :) I would not discourage your son from talking about his past life memories. You can ask open ended questions like "what was your name?", "where did you live?", etc. Start keeping a journal and write everything down. Have you read any books on reincarnation? Carol Bowman has written two, "Children's Past Life Memories" and "Return From Heaven". Many of your questions are answered there.


It sounds like your son was one of the "Allies" in WWII, if Hitler "shot him down". Have you shown your son pictures of WWII planes? See if he recognizes HIS plane. There are many adults here in the forum who remember past lives in WWII.
 
Just listen and do not contradict. Believe and smile. That's all you can do. Make notes of this for future reference but do not tell your child about these notes.
 
argonne1918 said:
It sounds like your son was one of the "Allies" in WWII, if Hitler "shot him down". Have you shown your son pictures of WWII planes? See if he recognizes HIS plane. There are many adults here in the forum who remember past lives in WWII.
"...Hitler shoot me down, and you and [my sister] too" and "my house died"
Or, he could mean the house, and his family, was destroyed in a bombing raid?


He might not remember specific things like his name or where he lived. If you ask any questions, try to keep it cool and general, like 'Oh really? Then what happened?' Same as you would with any other story he might decide to tell you. Above all, it's best to try to help him feel that he's not in trouble or anything like that. Kids will open up if they feel accepted, but not too pressured about it. You could also ask him to make a drawing of what he remembers if that seems appropriate at the time? That is something you might then keep for him until he grows up.
 
My advice? No one knows your child as well as you do, so I say, trust your instincts.


As for the barrage of questions at 6:30am . . . He might have just woken from a past life dream and wanted to talk about it.


For questions like, "Was Hitler's mom bad?" I would say, "I don't know. I never met her. What do you think?" Or something like that. These types of questions will be gone as quickly as they came, so enjoy them while you can.
 
The way I would handle this, personally, would be by making it as natural as possible. Dissuading him from talking about it could make him feel less comfortable about talking to you even about things from this life.


I wouldn't jump to conclusions about who he was because that might end up influencing him (or you). I'd keep an open mind about the possibilities.


It could be a good idea to write down what he says and maybe even ask him simple questions like if he was a boy or if he remembers his name (don't pressure him, though). He may forget all about this soon and never care much about reincarnation but he may one day want to explore the subject and having those notes might help him research.
 
Hello there, welcome to the forums. The major thing I can say is to basically hear your child out even if you are skeptical about what he is saying; the memories tend to be most accurate is they are not restrained.
 
Just be there and listen to him. I agree that it's a good idea to take note of what he's saying though of course, he shouldn't know about this notes or recording. If you feel that he wants you to talk to him then it's all right to ask questions. But maybe keep the questions light and sort of playful? But if you feel that he just wants you to listen, then you should do just that.
 
SYO - if you would like to contact Carol directly for help - I would be more than happy to help.
 
My daughter too


My daughter too made a reference to a Holocaust movie after a Jew was shot saying "Daddy didn't do it. Daddy is good now" as if she knew what she were seeing. I posted my storying which seems to be some what related to yours and I am in the same boat. I have no idea how to approach thiscover face
 
Back
Top