• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Exploring Past Life Religious Beliefs

That's an interesting idea, Sarellah. Just for clarity, are you exploring how various religions deal with the concept of past lives, or religions that you, yourself, practiced in past lives? Either idea is intriguing, but especially the latter. How are you doing this, because I want to try it, too!
 
Things I practiced in past lives, and also Hinduism, which deals with the concept of past lives... Isn't this prayer beautiful?


A traditional Native American prayer:


"O Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds and whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me.
I come before you, one of your children. I am small and weak. I need your strength and wisdom.
Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have made, my ears sharp to hear your voice
Make me wise, so that I may know the things you have taught my people, the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.
I seek strength, not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy: myself.
Make me ever ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes,
so that when life fades as a fading sunset, my spirit may come to you without shame."
 
Sarellah, Thank you for an interesting question! First, I too love this prayer. It comes from the Lakota chief Yellow Lark. The prayer encompasses the beauty of our relationship with the Great Creator.


Reincarnation and religion, for me, are two intertwined vines. I have searched for life's meaning in past lives... as I have searched for life's meaning in the spiritual realm. The two are for me deeply related. I have only one distinct and clear past life memory, it is what led me here several years ago, and it is what obsessively drove me to learning and studying reincarnation. As a result of that exploration I was amazed to discover remnants of four other past lives, and each of them involved a spiritual life.


The first one surfaced in my regression, it was that of a nomadic healer... it seems I walked about the land with an ability to heal, set broken bones, administer herbs etc... but I also distinctly counseled folks on the existence of God. I know that it was well before the time of Christ and it was in the Mediterranean area. What I taught, was what I knew innately! I was not a member of anything, it seems it was almost prehistoric in time.


The second is not so clear but quite intrigues me. I was some form of priest/shaman in a very ancient American band of people known as the Hopewell and Ft Ancient people. Synchronously I lived atop this area for three years and had no idea it was there.


Thirdly, and one of my reoccurring memories with attachments in this life time, was as a priest and Abbot of the Abbey of Melk. This one is so incredibly "magical" it sometimes scares me. I knew of this life before the name of the Abbey. The name came to me in an incredible "coincidence" from a woman I deeply love. She was standing on the Abbey grounds when something stirred her very deeply. She was compelled to ask me if i had ever been there. When I researched the place the photographs awakened a flood of memories. I still am working on this. It even had a most wonderful brush with Tanguerra here on the forum... she too remembers Melk.


Lastly I know that I was a Native American holy-man in the area of what is now the Wind River reservation. I have been there and experienced visions of that time. But it seems there is some block there that won't let me see more... my intuition tells me it is a very painful memory that I'm not ready for.


And now in this life... well what can I say... I believe in the soul's ability to discern its relationship with the Great Creator. It is my personal belief that we were indeed created as a soul in the likeness of God... and that we migrate through these mortal vessels of flesh and bone in order to experience creation. The exact purpose and meaning of which I think I'll leave to you and others to ponder. I was raised Roman Catholic. I loved and still admire the traditions and rituals of that church. I loathed the corruption and evil that ran through it in the dark ages. I still loath the pompous arrogance of theological certainty it spouts. But I have taken that tradition and that belief in Christianity and crossed over into the Eastern spiritual traditions... Buddhism. I am a Buddhist Christian, I like to say "Christian is the noun and Buddhist is the adjective" (I'd like to take credit for that saying but there are others like me who said it first). For me, and others, we've found that a contemplative life rooted in Christianity, following the principles of Buddhism, makes so much sense. My Buddhist community understands this and welcomes my Christian perspective.


Well I've gone on too long here, but suffice it to say YES, I have explored my religious past lives, it is a deep and powerful part of my journey. My mind is always open to where it will take me next. Pema Chadron, a Buddhist nun and an incredibly brilliant woman said "The truth you believe and cling to makes you unavailable to hear anything new."


Tinkerman
 
Interesting question! I have actually thought on this but never asked anyone before :)


I felt I've been Catholic, protestant, lutheran, pagan, buddhist, vodoun, and a couple I am not sure what they're called. I haven't religiously practiced these but I have looked into them. My family now is Southern Baptist.
 
I think its an interesting question.


My Egyptian one is a problem though, as my big brother, Pharaoh Akhenaten, did change religious practices when he lived. I am not so sure I went along with that though. Something makes me thinks that I didn't buy into it.


The Roman camp commander life (Empire peroid) was probably Mirthaism. That feels comfortable, for that one.


I think I also was an Early Christian, before Constantine turned Christianity into a state religion.


I was Christian thoughout the Middle ages.


Both Paleolithic and Native American would have been a form of Shamanism. That currently has me interested and feels very comfortable.


Born into Prostant Christianity, in this life.
 
I was born into a Church of Christ (fundamentalist Christian) family in this life. I refused to be baptized, so I was never officially a member. There were probably PL reasons for this, as I think I was Jewish in my immediate past life. I'm pretty sure I have been Roman Catholic, and walked the Zuni path. The Zuni are pretty private about their beliefs, with good cause. There is one thing of which I'm certain - I have believed in the Divine in all of them, despite the occasional "dark night of the soul".
 
Having been Irish, then Bavarian, now Argentinian, I have no choice but to always be Roman Catholic, not necessarily by personal choice but due to family tradition. As for older lives, no idea since I don't remember. I don't think I ever was a firm strict believer though, and I tend to have my own philosophy.


Even though I don't share the Catholic cosmology I do like their aesthetics. I like Catholic churches, specially those with a Gothic style. I like saints, and even though I don't believe they made miracles, I do believe they were probably people who existed, I'm particularly fond of Saint George, probably for past life reasons. I like the image of Jesus in the cross, much more than just the cross. I like the vitraux with biblical scenes. I like the smell of incense and mirrah in churches (although apparently It's just a this life thing).


I tried once to know more and become interested in Nordic Paganism, since probably all of us were exposed to those things in the SS, but it's just not my thing and I couldn't get into it.
 
I've had at least two lives as a priest, some odd memories as a rabbi and others yet as buddhist monks. While those lives obviously required some semblance of understanding of those disciplines, my primary views of those lives have been how I interacted with other people, not how I identified and related to my "calling". Those lives were lived as religious teachers in order to help others and to enable them to make sense of their worlds. I am not saying they knew the answers, but rather their goal was to assist others with their lives, to hopefully show others how to best come to terms with their mortality. Even my current occupation involves helping people understand aspects which affect their lives and assist them in making the best decisions they can.
 
Though I am not a Christian in this life, I am defensive of the Faith, especially in this day where Christian bashing is so trendy while people respectfully tiptoe around other faiths. I haven't explored the religious aspect of any PLs, though there is a feeling that during some when I was a Christian, I died for my beliefs, but did so without fear in at least one. In fact, I believe that as I died I turned my face heavenward with a smile. I have a faint recollection of someone with white hair looking at my face with a somewhat curious expression and asking "What does (s)he see?" (I'm not sure if they said 'she' or 'he'. It's kind of fuzzy.)
 
I like the aesthetics of the Catholic faith also, but the crucifix with Jesus nailed on really disturbs me. The Santos figures are beautiful, and I've been known to hang an iron Celtic cross over the bed. I really, really love menorahs, but am afraid it is disrespectful to "borrow" other faith's symbols. Does anyone have any feelings about that?
 
BriarRose said:
I really, really love menorahs, but am afraid it is disrespectful to "borrow" other faith's symbols. Does anyone have any feelings about that?
Is this a past life clue?
 
Most likely, from one of my immediate past selves. I also love the ritual that Orthodox women observe, of isolating themselves from their husbands for a time, a ritual bath, and coming together again. I find it absolutely lovely, and it probably adds "spice" to life! ;)
 
From quite a non religious family I have always felt drawn to the catholic church, as has my mother. Having dreamt of nuns I must have that somewhere in the past.


Last life I was part of a muslim family who were open to all religions, very much like my family in this life.
 
BriarRose said:
I like the aesthetics of the Catholic faith also, but the crucifix with Jesus nailed on really disturbs me. The Santos figures are beautiful, and I've been known to hang an iron Celtic cross over the bed. I really, really love menorahs, but am afraid it is disrespectful to "borrow" other faith's symbols. Does anyone have any feelings about that?
The menorah was remodeled for Kwanzaa!

BriarRose said:
Most likely, from one of my immediate past selves. I also love the ritual that Orthodox women observe, of isolating themselves from their husbands for a time, a ritual bath, and coming together again. I find it absolutely lovely, and it probably adds "spice" to life! ;)
Yeah, it adds to the...suspense the married couple feels when they are apart from each other. They aren't allowed to touch during that period so they don't get bored with their sex life. Sometimes I wish I was Orthodox even though that sounds strange I'm sure.
 
I feel the same way about being Orthodox, Sarellah.It seems to lend a beautiful certainty and integrity to life. Certainty is one thing I've never had. There's a lot to be said for tradition, and Orthodox Judaism seems to be so much more than a religion. It's a culture, a heritage, and being part of something larger than one's self. I've been watching the Chabad telethon for years now. My husband and I love the "dancing rabbis". It always makes us feel that we're "missing out" somehow.
 
I've been to a psychic. Everythin she told me was true. After being sure she was legit i asked of past lives. She told me many lives i've had. But the one that hit hardest was she said i was a minoan priestess. I didn't know what that was. So i googled it. Readingabout the culture, seeing pictures hit home. Unfortunately there isn't much info about minoans. I would love to know more about my life then. What my role was, the religious practice.
 
Sstolze, I have a similar dilemma with finding information on the Cathars. Funny thing, once I recalled the memory it seemed information kept finding me... in books, TV specials etc., all synchronous and not sought after. Hopefully the same will hold true for you.


Tman
 
I'm finding the more spiritual you are the less you have to search for what your heart naturally brings you. I'm sure I will cross paths with this search of past life religions. One day it will just happen. Is this how others experience these things. It definitely seems like a common grounds for obtaining information.
 
Tman, I didn't know that you had been a Cathar. I knew nothing about the sect until last year, but now references pop up everywhere. They were a fascinating footnote in religious history. I have read stories about the clusters of British people who believe that they are reincarnated Cathars. Do you think that their stories are valid?
 
Pyrosfuel said:
I'm finding the more spiritual you are the less you have to search for what your heart naturally brings you. I'm sure I will cross paths with this search of past life religions. One day it will just happen. Is this how others experience these things. It definitely seems like a common grounds for obtaining information.
i've had a dream that has led me to pursue an interesting path and after being a member here i think it could be a past life religious belief. it's not necessarily a religion but a way of life.


the dream itself is a bit loopy but it was significant in that i was introduced to a word i never heard before.


pyrosfuel, maybe this was it 'just happening'


i was going to try and recall it mentally but found the actual journal recording of the dream logged back in 2009. please excuse my choppyness and grammar, i typed this out a couple days after the dream 4 years ago and have only shared this once elsewhere.


-------------------------------


i had a dream with the ladybug-


we were outside-there were a bunch of people standing around. i remember seeing my two dogs that have been with me since birth. someone on the phone told me and another it was going to flood. he told us to climb the tallest tree, get to the top.


people thought they would be safe in their houses, but this was not your ordinary flood. it started to rain- people started to panic. they saw my friend and i climbing the tree and they began to follow. some climbed over us- in a hurry- the tree itself started to sink into the ground. everything that went underneath the water turned grey and became still. as we got closer to the top- there was someone waiting there. people would stick out their hands and a pink heart would come floating- landing on their hands. when this happened, they were transported to safety. i was the last person up. the person looked at me and said, "did you learn your lesson?" i opened up my hand- i was hesitant to answer because the tree kept sinking and the water drew close. the heart came out- but did not land on my hand. this must have meant no but, i was so sure- i remember saying that "i DID learn my lesson" it had something to do with love- frantic i climbed higher- to the highest point of the tree. the water started to take to my feet- frozen, i could not move my legs. i extended my palm out and waited. i had help from an outside source, in my eyes- my pappy. he talked to the man at the top and pointed to a sac of insects. the man said, "but those aren't ready. they aren't even born." my pappy took one of the insects and placed it in my hand and then he was gone. it was a lady bug- uncurling itself in my palm. the water was now up to my belly- the lady bug flew around and the pink heart came out again. the heart floated and then landed on the ladybug. at this point the water was up to my head- everything below the water, frozen. all that was left was my extended reach. the ladybug with the pink heart now attached to it, landed back in my palm.


the people looked at the man at the top and the man smiled, looking at my hand. this part is hard to explain but after the ladybug landed again- i felt everything i was witnessing- was not me at all. i felt transfered. suddenly, i was the man at the top. the people asked "what of him?" and the man said "i am him. i am sufi."


everything i saw was somehow related to the man waiting at the top- after this i remember walking along the shoreline with a group of people. i remember seeing my mom and dad- they were younger. they were healthy and happy- i don't know if they knew i was their son at this point- i was talking to my mom and my dad was running down the beach. afterwards i woke up


-------------------------------


the reason i recorded this is because that is the first time i heard the word "sufi"


i looked it up only to find sufism is a way of life and shortly after found an apprecation for the teachings of hazrat inayat khan


sorry for the lengthy post. i know it can use some revision but i was really surprised to have found the RAW log still floating around :o


after doing some research on sufism i later found this website for daily inspiration


http://wahiduddin.net/saki/saki_new.php


a sip from the bowl of saki - messages from inayat khan
 
Good morning BriarRose! how did I miss your question above?? Too much to look at... sorry.


Yes I've had some very interesting and real encounters with the Cathars. It came about by a synchronous encounter of a personal nature, and when that door opened it put several other things in my life into perspective.


The commitment and faith of these people were powerful. I have not heard about the connection to Great Britain, could you give me some references so that I might learn more? This is quite intriguing!


Tman
 
There was a group of reincarnated Cathars around Bath in the 1960's - all patients of one psychiatrist. His name was Arthur Guirdham. There have been debunking attempts, but the cases were really interesting. I saw a British TV show called "The Unexplained" that profiled Guirdham's cases. The show traveled to the site where the Cathars made their last stand with two women who remembered Cathar lives. Once I had heard of the sect, references popped up everywhere.
 
hmmmm wow


I think I have been: Hopi, French catholic, English Protestant, a Southern Baptist ranch hand, a Hindu boy, a few lives as european Christian-with no deep beliefs, I just went along with it. Mongolian-muslim at the time, Irish Catholic-twice.


Native American-around Virginia in the 1700's.


Several more where religion played a lesser part and I died young plus a few where I denounced religion altogether


(as a brutish warrior and a junky/prostitute.)


I denied God when I "felt" forgotten or abandoned. How sad.


Nothing was further from the truth.


SO...


I think I have been literally everything!


In this life? I was raised with NO real religious practice as the adopted child of a lapsed Catholic Dad and a Southern Baptist Mom. I married a Muslim guy I met in college and converted to Islam. I discovered sufism. I studied Buddhist teachings.


I still admire the pomp and pageantry of Catholic ritual and churches.


Now I think of myself as a religious *stew*- a bit of everything makes it delicious and nourishing.


DO I believe in God? You bet. God in every form, every particle.


little sister
 
Cloud Potato, that is an awesome dream, do you think you really were in a flood in a past life or was it symbolic? Do you think you were Sufi in a past life?
 
hi sarellah,


sorry i haven't gotten to you sooner.


i don't know- to answer your questions. lately i'm beginning to think the memories i've had as a child and the intense dreams that i remember from years ago are more symbolic... someone here prepped me for this mentality but i believe perhaps these dreams and memories are representing to some degree the transition from one life to another.


whether i was sufi or not, i'm not sure if it's relevant as i feel no passion for it today. i do feel a deep respect for the dream and for learning sufism. for hazrat inayat khan and his teachings, much of which seem to ring a few of my "truth bells"


it's fascinating how dreams work in this manner... like something more trying to grab our attention... but what is it and what does it all mean ?
 
I have my suspicions that I was very religiously Christian at one point for several reasons. Consider that while some family members attend Church, as a whole I was not raised to be any particular religion. My parents always encouraged me to think and believe whatever I wanted. And yet...


- I have specific memories of being told about Noah's ark, that Jesus died but "is coming back", things like that. All older family members have denied saying such things to me.


- I had very strict beliefs, or at least held myself to strict standards. When I first heard about Lucy (as in our primal ancestor) I was skeptical because of Adam and Eve, though I quickly settled for "well, that's what Eve must have looked like." For a while I didn't believe in drinking, swearing or premarital sex.


An interesting tidbit is that I did pursue Church for a while, and occasionally felt like some concepts were "new," like the Holy Trinity.


I still consider myself somewhat Christian, though I no longer feel strongly about following a certain code, except for not judging or harming others, honoring my mother and father, etc.


Make of that what you will!
 
cloud potato said:
i had a dream with the ladybug-


we were outside-there were a bunch of people standing around. i remember seeing my two dogs that have been with me since birth. someone on the phone told me and another it was going to flood. he told us to climb the tallest tree, get to the top.


people thought they would be safe in their houses, but this was not your ordinary flood. it started to rain- people started to panic. they saw my friend and i climbing the tree and they began to follow. some climbed over us- in a hurry- the tree itself started to sink into the ground. everything that went underneath the water turned grey and became still. as we got closer to the top- there was someone waiting there. people would stick out their hands and a pink heart would come floating- landing on their hands. when this happened, they were transported to safety. i was the last person up. the person looked at me and said, "did you learn your lesson?" i opened up my hand- i was hesitant to answer because the tree kept sinking and the water drew close. the heart came out- but did not land on my hand. this must have meant no but, i was so sure- i remember saying that "i DID learn my lesson" it had something to do with love- frantic i climbed higher- to the highest point of the tree. the water started to take to my feet- frozen, i could not move my legs. i extended my palm out and waited. i had help from an outside source, in my eyes- my pappy. he talked to the man at the top and pointed to a sac of insects. the man said, "but those aren't ready. they aren't even born." my pappy took one of the insects and placed it in my hand and then he was gone. it was a lady bug- uncurling itself in my palm. the water was now up to my belly- the lady bug flew around and the pink heart came out again. the heart floated and then landed on the ladybug. at this point the water was up to my head- everything below the water, frozen. all that was left was my extended reach. the ladybug with the pink heart now attached to it, landed back in my palm.


the people looked at the man at the top and the man smiled, looking at my hand. this part is hard to explain but after the ladybug landed again- i felt everything i was witnessing- was not me at all. i felt transfered. suddenly, i was the man at the top. the people asked "what of him?" and the man said "i am him. i am sufi."


everything i saw was somehow related to the man waiting at the top- after this i remember walking along the shoreline with a group of people. i remember seeing my mom and dad- they were younger. they were healthy and happy- i don't know if they knew i was their son at this point- i was talking to my mom and my dad was running down the beach. afterwards i woke up
Cloud Potato,


That is a really cool dream! Do you think the man at the top could have been your future self?
 
I'd say that my past beliefs of Sikhism and probably either Buddhism or Taoism are very similar to my own right now, at the core anyway. All three believe in reincarnation.
 
Back
Top