• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Experiences With a 'Foreign' Language.

ChrisR

Administrator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here's a topic that hasn't been discussed in the forum for a while. Do any of you have any past life experiences with a language that you are unfamiliar with in your present life?

A few years ago, when I was avidly researching my past life in Ecuador, I came across a video featuring an expedition to the volcano that erupted in 1957, killing both me and my father. It was quite a long documentary, and the members of the expedition were all South American, and didn't speak English. This made watching the video quite a long and tedious affair for me, it was not quite what I was expecting, and nothing I saw triggered any past life memories for me, other than wanting to shout at my screen to tell them all how much danger they were in! : angel

It wasn't very long before my eyelids started to become heavy and I laid my head back and closed my eyes - all I could hear was this group of men speaking in a Latin American language, which I assumed was Spanish (pardon my ignorance, but languages have never been my forte!). As I drifted further into unconsciousness, a funny thing happened. The 'foreign' language I had been unable to comprehend moments earlier was vaguely beginning to make sense! It's hard to explain, it didn't suddenly become 'English' as if by magic, rather the foreign language was kind of creating 'images' in my mind which allowed me to get the gist of what was going on, and what they were talking about. For an example, I knew one man was telling his friend to be careful of loose rocks tumbling down the slope, yet I would have no clue how to translate that into Spanish, or vice-versa, it was a very peculiar sensation.

I wonder if my semi-conscious state allowed the 'memory' of that language to surface in my mind, allowing me to partially understand what was being said? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
 
Lately language has been a curiosity of mine.


For years, most of my exposure has been to Cantonese mainly in films (which are mostly from Hong Kong) and I never was really able to "get" the language, even though my friend and his family are Cantonese speakers.


But more recently, as I've been learning to navigate Baidu and it's version of Youtube, I've been finding more and more that's been in Mandarin and I've been finding that words have been popping out left and right.


Much like you, there's no conscious translation, but yet I know the meaning and even though I couldn't explain how. Because of that, I've tried to focus on words that I thought I should know, such as sister and I was able to hear a word and then look up the translation later online. So far in the three times I've tried it, I've been correct on each one.


I think language, like other knowledge is stored as experience. Much like how as a child, you know what a car is, if you had previous experience with one, without being told what it is. I think we may attribute this previous experience to natural talent.
 
When I went for my very first regression session and I was taken back to my prior life as a Native American male, I was asked to give my name. I told the regressionist my name. Later when I listened to the tape, I honestly thought I had made everything up and that the name I gave was nothing but gibberish nonsense.


A few years later, I was introduced to a Native American shaman. I told him the story of what I believed could have been my prior life. I also told him what I believed my name was in that life but added that it could have been made up, probably just nonsense. Well, he got very quiet and just stared at me. I was so afraid that I had offended him. Finally, he told me, "That's Shoshone." And he explained to me what the name meant. I was completely shocked because there was no way I could have known that.
 
Fascinating story Chris...I have had a few hints at understanding other languages from past lives.


One was when I was looking through a book of medieval manuscripts and somehow 'knew' what some of the Latin words meant, I knew how they were pronounced and unconsciously started 'reading along'. Looked them up years later and turns out I was 100% right!


I have heard the French language in a few dreams, and while it sounds like French, I seem to understand it - like my modern mind was somehow translating it to English meaning at the same time.


I've also gotten hints/a few words of Irish/Gaelic language come up dreams, as well as the ancient (and now dead) language of the Picts - an early Celtic people.


Needless to say, I find languages fascinating; (I find it easy to memorize short songs in Old English...) and while I don't know anything other than English in my current life, I think I have known many over the span of all my past lives...
 
In a dream about my past life I heard some Greek words which I remembered when I woke up. Later they turned out to be names, one surename, one first name, one nickname and one name of a place in Greece. I also heard one phrase when I was meditating about this life, that I could translate later and get a meaning. Before this I had hardly ever heard Greek and didn't know one single word. Now I have studied the language for a year, and even though I couldn't speak it better than any other new student in the beginning, there are words that I feel sound more right and familiar in Greek than in my own language. And the pronounciation has also never been a problem. I also find it very relaxing to listen to spoken Greek or songs in this language, it feels familiar is the best way to describe it.
 
Greetings ChrisR,


What you describe regarding a foreign language has been happening with me for the longest time.


When I was young in this life, I had a really hard time learning english, even though it was my first language and the only one I'm fluent in.


But somewhere along the line, another language has come. Leaking through into my dreams, gradually into flashes of memories when I'm relaxed, where I can hear it spoken in the same way I remember spoken english words from this life.


It's a foreign language, I don't know which one. But sometimes when I'm falling asleep, and very often when I'm dreaming, I understand it at the expense of forgetting english entirely. It may have started out with images illustrating the words, but it's since become a case of somehow just knowing what the words mean.


And then when I'm awake again, I can still remember the sounds of the words, but the knowing of what those sounds mean is temporarily absent.


It makes hypnosis an unlikely option. When I relax enough, all the english words of people talking to me become meaningless sounds.
 
Back
Top