• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Does knowlege of past lives ever drive you nuts

Batgeek22

New Member
I have never went to any great effort to retrieve memories of my past lives. They've plagued me without the effort. Since childhood I've always had this feeling that I have forgotten something important. My mind on it's own volition seems to be constantly searching for the cause. It get overwhelmed with memories of my very early childhood. Things that I shouldn't be able to remember. Things like crawling on the floor, being in my walker, and sitting in my highchair eating as a baby. There are also other memories that don't seem to be my own, but at the same time I feel that they are. These are the most disturbing. The one I have right before, I guess before being born is of people standing around me. I'm holding a baby, my baby that I just gave birth to and telling him he is going to something very important. Then there was darkness then a bright light. I was then someplace else very confusing and then I was here in this life. That memory freaks me out the most as I'm a guy. For the most part of my adult life I've pushed these memories down. I started doing this when I was young because bringing them up scared my parents. Every now and then something brings them up and I can't keep them away. Other memories start coming to me in dreams and I start having trouble sleeping. I sometimes wake up with an irrational fear that I'm pregnant. I can only guess that this was the most recent life. Others occasional come through. How do you deal with this stuff?
 
wellllllcome


That sounds like a complicated thing to deal with. It sounds like it could be past life related if there's otherwise no reason why you'd have these memories and fears. Researching your past lives might help you if you're dealing with the nagging feeling that you need to remember something important and if you need some sort of closure. There have been people who have described having persistent memories and fears that didn't have an explanation and they disappeared after they researched and understood their past lives.


Just in case, I would also look into the medical side of things, where things like sleeping badly are concerned. I'm not trying to offend you, by the way. I just think that even when past lives seem like the most likely scenario it's still a good idea to make sure there is no other explanation or even (if you think that's possible) health problems that may have carried over and that can be cured or at least coped with thanks to modern medicine.


Write down everything you can remember. When you have these flashbacks, do you remember clothings? Places? What do these places look like? Are there other people, cars, or furniture around? Can you hear any languages?


You can also try meditations and regressions. Keep a record of them too.


Researching these things can take a lot of time. It can take even longer if you want to validate the facts through historical research. Don't give up or be discouraged.
 
I have reserched for medical reasons and was just it was probably stress. That was a long time ago. I didn't share with the doctor the cause of stress which was the memories. To be honest it sounds nutty just admitting here. I've spent my life trying to repress these memories as they tend to cause anxiety. Most of the time I'm successful. Every now and then something triggers them.


As for details those difficult. There are lots of feelings, colors, smells, and textures. The language is english for the part. The name Charlie holds meaning. My parents gave me a baby doll when I was very young and I named it that. When they asked why I told them it was his father's name and he looked like his father. I couldn't explain it to any more than that. I carried that doll with me everywhere. That's how most of it comes out. It's wierd random knowlege that shouldn't know but do. I have no idea where it comes from. It scared my mom when I would blurt out facts about stuff that happened before I was born, so I made every effort to stop and be a normal kid.
 
Hi Batgeek22


Welcome to the forum.


I know exactly what you mean by all this. I too had lots of past life memories when I was small. They were often quite violent and gruesome. Not knowing what it was and having nobody to talk to about it, I often wondered if something was wrong with me. Even I could tell that being 7 years old and being able to remember all the details of a battle was not normal, especially since we didn't even have a TV, not that they'd have shown anything that graphic on TV then (or even nowadays really).


I also have a very good memory for present life things and remember back to babyhood. For some reason being able to remember past lives and having a good present life memory seems to go together. Some people here can remember being in the womb and being born, so, although it's unusual, it's not unique.

I have researched for medical reasons and was just it was probably stress. That was a long time ago. I didn't share with the doctor the cause of stress which was the memories. To be honest it sounds nutty just admitting here. I've spent my life trying to repress these memories as they tend to cause anxiety. Most of the time I'm successful. Every now and then something triggers them.
Suppressing past life memories doesn't really work as you are discovering. If your psyche is trying to tell you something, it's better to listen so it doesn't have to shout.


It will probably be better for you to embrace this gift you have, because if used properly, it really is a gift. You are not nutty or anything, so don't worry about that. I think you just need to learn a bit more about how to manage it so you can handle it better. To me it sounds like you're a natural at this. Most people seem to fall into the category of either having waking flashbacks or past life dreams. You seem to have both.

It scared my mom when I would blurt out facts about stuff that happened before I was born, so I made every effort to stop and be a normal kid.
Yes, I used to do that too! Others here can no doubt relate to it! :)

...Every now and then something brings them up and I can't keep them away. Other memories start coming to me in dreams and I start having trouble sleeping. I sometimes wake up with an irrational fear that I'm pregnant. I can only guess that this was the most recent life. Others occasional come through. How do you deal with this stuff?
So, how to deal with it, let's start with what's going on at the moment. Has it got worse recently? Is there something going on more than usual at the moment that has prompted you to write into the forum? You don't have to share any private information that you are not comfortable sharing, but is there some change going on in your life at the moment? Something stressing you or worrying you in your present life? Have you recently met a new person who seems oddly familiar (in a good way or a bad way)?


These things can often trigger a 'flood' of past life memories. Once you work out what the connection is between the current life situation and the past life one, things usually settle down. Often there is some lesson you need to relearn or some kind of subconscious warning bell going off, which is why you will get an uptick of this kind of activity.
 
I'm not sure what triggers it and yes it has started up again recently. I know from the past that it will endure for a few weeks, or even months and then it will subside. It always hangs there behind the scenes, but I can manage it most of the time. The waking flashbacks are the most disorienting leaving me feeling disconnected from the present. The same thing happens after one of the very vivid dreams. It's a strange feeling making the present world seem unreal. I'm reluctant to pursue delving into it because if it's this disorienting without trying how bad would it be if I was putting effort into it.
 
I understand entirely! I know just what this feels like and how unnerving it can be. But, I suggest that trying to suppress it isn't the best way of handling things. It hasn't worked up til now, has it? Bringing these things up into the conscious mind is usually something that gives people a lot of relief. I've seen it many times.


So, try to be brave and let's see if we can work through it. I'm sure it will help to just be able to talk about it with people who understand in the first instance. I'm confident it will relieve your stress about this and won't do any harm, even if it's a little uncomfortable for you.

I'm not sure what triggers it and yes it has started up again recently...
Have a think about it and see if you can work out when it started up again and what was going on in your present life at that time. There will be something that's been bothering you. It might be work, it might be relationships. It could be a dilemma you're struggling with. You don't have to tell us about it unless you feel like it, but just note it. It's often a useful clue.


In amongst the flashbacks and dreams, it is mostly about your most recent life, the one where you were holding the baby? Do you think the baby / doll / father named Charlie belongs with that life too? It would seem to wouldn't it?

...The name Charlie holds meaning. My parents gave me a baby doll when I was very young and I named it that. When they asked why I told them it was his father's name and he looked like his father...
You mustn't worry about having been a female before and a man now. That's very normal. It doesn't reflect on your masculinity now or anything like that. I've been male and female back and forth many, many times. I use the experience of knowing what it's like being a man to help me understand the male mind. It comes in very handy I assure you! My female friends wonder what is this power I have over men, why I have so many of them apparently at my beck and call. It's because I understand what they're thinking and how they feel. You could learn to use this to your advantage too. Just sayin' - there are advantages to this 'gift' that we have. It's not all bad. :)
 
After reflecting on recent events I have a pretty good idea what caused this latest episode. We had a new hire at work. She's a tall thin young brunette. I've always said I prefer tall brunette but have never dated one or even beenattracted to one. This latest episode started after she was placed with me for training. A co-worker asked me how she was doing and I replied before thinking that she was a female version of me. Right away that comment struck me as odd because we have little in common. The only connection I can think of is when I have these flashes I'm a tall thin attractive brunette. Now that I'm done with her training it's gotten better.


On a side note I can relate to the knowlege of the opposite sex. Friends used to be amazed at my ability to pick up girls. Even the girls I picked up would be amazed. My wife has often asked how I always know the right thing to say. I've found it works best when I don't force it. It's almost as if I step back from myself someone else takes over. I can't explain it any better than that and god knows I've tried with friends who have asked for me to teach them. When I get in this zone I just know what to say, I know what they're feeling.


I've had these flashes where I wearing kind of school uniform. If have a feeling it's the sixties. Others where I'm shopping with some girlfriends making fun of the latest fashion in clothing. I get the feeling that the girls I'm with are more friends of necessity than true friends. Like we need to travel together for a sense of emotional security. As I looked at these clothes my current self thought of them as dated but the feeling I got was this was all new and fresh. The colors were vivid the sounds were complex and i could even smell perfume.
 
In addition to this previous life I do have a vivid recall of another. I remember explosions everywhere. I was a soldier wearing a wierd brimmed helmet. I was scared beyond belief. I was running when there was explosion to my right a rear. Something tore through my right leg and back. The next thing I knew I was lying in the mud with the rain coming down. Explosions were still going off, but seemed muffled. I attempted to get up, but my leg below the knee was gone. Strangely I wasn't in pain and I realized I was dying. I looked up at the sky that was filled with flashes of light and smoke smiled and began to laugh because it was finally over. I knew wherever I was going had to be better than where I was at.


This happened when I was 4 and caused me to tell parents that I couldn't walk for nearly two weeks. I insisted they had to carry me. When I did walk I leaned on the wall for support. My parents even took me to the doctor who said nothing was wrong with me. I had a severe fear of fireworks and would refuse to join the family to watch them. Digging holes in the yard with c0ffee cans and hiding in them made me feel safe. Mind you these were not small holes. You could easily fit two refrigerators in some of them. I even attempted to dig tunnels. None of this was very popular with my parents. My dad would cover them up. I would dig more. My mom was shocked how fast I could dig them using a c0ffee can.
 
Batgeek22 said:
Since childhood I've always had this feeling that I have forgotten something important. My mind on it's own volition seems to be constantly searching for the cause.
I have the exact same feeling Bat! I've had it for as long as I can remember, no matter where I am or what I'm doing, whether arriving somewhere or leaving, I feel like I've forgotten something important despite having everything on me~


I also had a life in the war, WW1 I was an American soldier :)
 
ColourODarkness said:
I have the exact same feeling Bat! I've had it for as long as I can remember, no matter where I am or what I'm doing, whether arriving somewhere or leaving, I feel like I've forgotten something important despite having everything on me~
I also had a life in the war, WW1 I was an American soldier :)
And I too. I feel there's something unfinished. Lately, it's been on my mind A LOT!
 
I'm not sure what war it was or even where I was from I was just glad when it was over. The only other memory I've ever had that like it was connected to that life is one on a farm. There were rolling hills, a house, and road with deep ruts. I had a younger brother and I was telling him I was going of to the war. I got the impression I was young no more 16 or 17. The accent was British. My brother was upset. I told him I would be and we'd go fishing. I somehow knew I wouldn't be returning.
 
The wide brimmed hat, digging holes, British accent, it sounds like WWI to me. You may even have grown up in Australia? Lots of Australians had British accents back then, either because they'd recently come from the UK, or because that was the 'proper' way to talk back then. The Aussie accent has evolved only in the past 100 or so years. Lots of young Aussie lads lied about their age to join up and run away from the farm to find what they thought would be adventure. The holes probably represented trenches in your mind perhaps? Maybe you felt exposed without a trench around you? Somehow digging a hole and getting into it relieved anxiety? Sometimes people are carrying around PTSD symptoms from past life traumas. Once they realise what's happening, it often gets a lot better.


I thought it was pretty amusing you made your parents carry you around for a couple of weeks! And your Dad filling in all those holes! They must be pretty indulgent. I'd have got a spanking for something like that when I was a kid! I wonder what on Earth they thought was going on with you! :D

... It's almost as if I step back from myself someone else takes over. I can't explain it any better than that and god knows I've tried with friends who have asked for me to teach them. When I get in this zone I just know what to say, I know what they're feeling...
Yes. I can do this. I can see things from a male point of view because of 'my condition' as I call it. I have girlfriends I try to advise (they ask me what my secret is). I say 'don't whine and don't nag and don't play games. Just say what you want. Just ask once, then leave it. Smile more. Just tell him how you feel. Don't drop hints or rabbit on forever about every detail of your day hoping he'll guess what's the matter. Men hate that.'


They just don't seem able to get it though. I can talk to just about any man for hours about all kinds of things. Men friends come to me to talk about their relationship problems, would you believe, because they can't talk to their girlfriends. I can talk like a guy. I think that's the difference - more directly and solution oriented. The added advantage is that I can explain it to them from the female perspective and help them understand what she's going on about. :)

We had a new hire at work. She's a tall thin young brunette. I've always said I prefer tall brunette but have never dated one or even beenattracted to one. This latest episode started after she was placed with me for training. A co-worker asked me how she was doing and I replied before thinking that she was a female version of me. Right away that comment struck me as odd because we have little in common. The only connection I can think of is when I have these flashes I'm a tall thin attractive brunette. Now that I'm done with her training it's gotten better.
This is interesting. This could indeed be what sparked it. Did she feel oddly familiar to you, apart from her general appearance, which you say is how you used to look? Like, say, could you imagine that you might have been sisters or something in a previous life? Or maybe it just jogged your memory?
 
Batgeek22 said:
I remember explosions everywhere. I was a soldier wearing a wierd brimmed helmet. I was scared beyond belief. I was running when there was explosion to my right a rear. Something tore through my right leg and back. The next thing I knew I was lying in the mud with the rain coming down. Explosions were still going off, but seemed muffled. I attempted to get up, but my leg below the knee was gone. Strangely I wasn't in pain and I realized I was dying. I looked up at the sky that was filled with flashes of light and smoke smiled and began to laugh because it was finally over. I knew wherever I was going had to be better than where I was at.
Have you ever looked up helmets on google images? If it's a metal wide brimmed hat I think it could very well be WWI. When the War began everyone, including the Germans and Austrians, thought it would be over in just a few months. They'd all be home in time for Christmas. I think "farm boys" everywhere were quick to sign up just to get away from the farm. American boys had been told stories about the Spanish-American War in 1898. President Teddy Roosevelt had been a hero in that war. But when the boys got to the front line in France they had a rude awakening.
 
That's the helmet. The uniform also had an odd odor and feel to it. It kind of makes sense now why I was obsessed with getting a gas mask. I get the feeling it was a miserable life even before I went to war. Probably didn't help matters that I was born into this as a poor farm boy.


The similarities is probably what spurred the flashback. I get the feeling that my life as a young woman in the 60's was that of privilege. It would go along with the memory of wearing a private school uniform and shopping in trending stores. It's strange if you follow the time line I must have come back soon after dying in the late 60's since I was born in 71. Yet, if the memory of dying in WW1 is right then what happened between then and the late 40's which I must have been born in to be a young woman in the 60's?


How does this reincarnation thing work. I seemed to be fine with dying in the war, but not the 60's. It's those memories which fill me with the feeling I left something undone, that I've forgotten something very important.


If you die content does it take longer to come back than if you die before you were ready? If you wait as I apparently did do you get a better life as rich girl as opposed to rushing and ending as a poor farm boy? Is it like rides at Disney World where you have to wait in longer lines for the good rides and if you just want to keep riding you jump on all the crappy ones with short lines? If that's the case the next time I check out I'll see you all in 50 years.
 
Batgeek22 said:
... I get the feeling that my life as a young woman in the 60's was that of privilege....How does this reincarnation thing work. I seemed to be fine with dying in the war, but not the 60's. It's those memories which fill me with the feeling I left something undone, that I've forgotten something very important.
How does it work? Well, that's a big question and you will likely get a lot of different answers to that, because we really don't know exactly. But, from what we do know, which is from various people's accounts of what they remember spontaneously or under hypnosis in some cases, also various writings that have been done over the centuries on this topic, it seems to be a similar but individual experience for everyone - a bit like life!

Batgeek22 said:
..If you die content does it take longer to come back than if you die before you were ready? If you wait as I apparently did do you get a better life as rich girl as opposed to rushing and ending as a poor farm boy? Is it like rides at Disney World where you have to wait in longer lines for the good rides and if you just want to keep riding you jump on all the crappy ones with short lines? If that's the case the next time I check out I'll see you all in 50 years.
I don't think there are any strict rules about these things. I think some of it is down to chance, but I also believe that what you wish for in one life often seems to come true in the next one. So, if you grew up poor in the WWI life, and as a man were expected to go to war and that was a pretty horrible experience, then you might choose to come back next time in a more privileged life and be female.


From the accounts that we have of the 'life between life' stage of existence, when the time is right (and that can depend on a bunch of factors) you will be summoned by the elders or guides who seem to run things in 'heaven'. You will be presented with some options of which life you would like to try, what parents you would like to have and a rough idea of the trajectory you will have. People talk about being presented with three to six or so choices. People often want to hang with their 'soul group' - their friends and family - so that sort of thing will also impact on when the 'time is right' to go back.


Some people have described not making any choices or any plans at all, but just hanging about in 'heaven' having a good time. Then suddenly they are just being dumped unceremoniously back to Earth. I don't know if this is because they don't remember choosing, or if some people are just rebels or 'slackers', same as we have in this level of existence. Anyway, you make your choice carefully or you ignore the advice of the guides, one way or the other, and voila! There you are being born again. Off you go on your next adventure.


So, just like in the fairy tales, be careful what you wish for, and/or try to be a good hearted person if you want the best possible outcome. There is no 'good' life and no 'bad' life. Each life is what you make of it and what happens apart from that just 'happens'. There are a bunch of other individuals in the world after all, all of them chasing their own agenda. Imagine it's a bit like taking a holiday. You might plan it all out carefully. You might research where you will go, what you will do and imagine how it's all going to be perfect. But then when you actually get there, things can go awry, the plane is late, there's a typhoon..... When that happens it depends on your character how you are going to handle it. Will you collapse in a heap or rise to the occasion?


So, I don't know exactly what happened in your 1960s life, but by the sound of it you had everything - beauty, money, love a family - but somehow your life got cut short. No wonder you might feel a bit cheated? But maybe there is some meaning underlying all of this that is waiting to be discovered?
 
Thanks for the replies. I've not talked about this with anyone in a long time. When I was a child and openly talked about it my parents took me to the school counselor who then referred my parents to a psychiatrist. His expert opinion was that and I quote weird. I was also taken to the church pastor. Again not a very supportive encounter. After that I stop talking about it and just attempted to be normal. When I did have episodes I didn't discuss it with anyone. I attempted to discuss it with my wife once, but it didn't go far. She wouldn't even engage me in the conversation. It was if she didn't even hear me. I blame Catholic upbringing.


This latest round is starting to subside. I'll post my feelings on it before I forget one the images that came through. This life I remember bits of in the 1960's was great not because I was a privileged woman, but because I had family, I had love. I remember holding my hands over my pregnant belly and feeling joy. I also had knowledge that there were complications and it may kill me. My life in WW1 was a dreary one where I never experienced love. I stole the letters of another dead soldier from his girl and imagined she was writing to me. I eventually threw them away in frustration. I may post more later if anything else comes.
 
This is heavy stuff. I completely understand. Take it slow and easy.


Best wishes to you Batgeek. Remember you are not alone with this and we always are here (pretty much). We get it. Even if others don't.


T.
 
Hi batgeek. I thought i'd say hi and throw in my 2 cents.


I'm in much the same situation. I was a woman in my past life and died at 39. I definitely feel like that life has had more of a hold on this one than anything; largely due to the fact that it was cut short and unfulfilled. But also because for a long time as a child I was living a similar life to that of my past one.


My life really got hard at times for me in the past and during those times, the only thing that felt real to me was that I knew what it felt like to be a girl or woman. Even though it brought me comfort, it was it's own source of confusion and frustration.


Recognizing that you had a past life as a woman and most likely died young are two big accomplishments. I would focus on trying to understand why you're aware of all this, or to put it another way, what is it you can learn from your past life that can help you now?


If you were wealthy, in the UK (possibly as some have suggested) and the 60's, there's a good chance there's info out there for you to find. If you haven't already, I would try dream programming, self regression, hypnosis etc. to see what clues you can suss out that may help you find this person.


I never really learned anything mind blowing about any unfinished business or anything like that. But I did learn plenty about me and my family and that's really helped to give me a perspective on all of us I wouldn't have had otherwise and it's truly been a great source of healing for me.


And also don't hold yourself trying to find reason between the lives and time between them. Once you do your research and make ground, the answers will come to you. They're highly individual and up to what you need as a soul and not something you can sit down and look at like a train schedule.


Good luck though, we're all here to help if you need it! wine**
 
I've never tried any techniques to try to bring about these memories. They just come about on their own. They do seem to be triggered by current life events at times and at others just seem random. Other times it comes on a like severe deja vu with an almost overwhelming flashback. Then other times it's an extremely vivid dream. Unlike regular dreams these are full of details to include smells and textures. Most of the times it goes on for a few weeks and then tapers off. They don't always make sense or seem to follow a particular timeline. The one last night was really strange. It was again of the war. I was mixing some brown meat like substance from a can with some creamy liquid white stuff, maybe milk from a can together. It was a rather disgusting looking mess, but I got the impression I was going to eat it. As I was preparing it another soldier dressed as I was in a brownish dirty uniform that somehow I knew as Paul came rushing in. He started shouting primus. Now Primus is a decent band, but I don't think they were around for WW1. I have no idea what the mixture I was concocting was, but I seemed rather proud of it. I'm not sure if Primus was my name. I don't think so. Paul seemed to just be shouting it excitedly for anyone to hear. I then woke up feeling disoriented as I often do after that type of dream unable to go back to sleep.
 
Interesting! Yes. I get strong flashbacks too. I don't get past life dreams, but I've had future life dreams, oddly enough. I use regression techniques to fill out details that are missing from the 'flashbacks'.


If you start keeping a journal of these dreams, you may find that they start to make more sense and will be less confusing as you can piece them together like a piece of broken pottery. Since you have two main lives going on, I'd be using the front of a book for one and the back for the other, to keep them sorted out - or two different books. Whatever's easiest for you.


You were probably mixing bully beef (like a can of corned beef) and condensed milk (very sweet concentrated milk). Two very popular WWI era foods! They kept almost indefinitely and were very high in calories, fat and sugar, so very comforting and filling I imagine. Goodness knows what they tasted like together, but sometimes salt and sweet can work?


You might find this interesting:


http://www.express.co.uk/news/world-war-1/502452/The-Battle-to-feed-Tommy-The-diet-of-a-WW1-soldier


Maybe your friend was yelling 'primers'? That's part of a bomb or a mortar or almost anything that goes 'bang' really. Perhaps he wanted you to get him some or some had finally been delivered or something like that?


You might find this interesting:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/240_mm_Trench_Mortar
 
I don't know about the taste. I didn't get that far. When I was a kid I liked milk, but had a down right nearly phobic dislike for corn beef even though I'd never tried it. Paul was shouting primus without a doubt. He seemed happy about it. I seemed a little less concerned with letting everybody know what I was making.


I'm uncertain about trying to force this stuff out. As I've said I feel very off after the flashbacks. They seem to linger and set of the dreams. The dreams do interfere with sleep, but seem to ease the disorienting effects of the flashbacks. I'll consider the idea though.


As for the in between life place I would agree not to focus on that place. The memory I have of it is between my current life and the immediate past one and it's an odd place. I do know my awareness was greatly expanded and I had access to knowledge. My senses were different. I was upset about being there. I knew the place, I'd been there before. There was also someone else there. Something was communicated and suddenly I was here. Concentrating on that place always leaves me feeling diminished and reduced.


Thankfully this all starting to fade now and I can get back to normal until the next time.
 
When I saw the word "Primus" I immediately thought of a Primus stove: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove. These have been around for a long time and were apparently used in both WWI and WWII. Here are some image results that came up, maybe they will jog some memories:


https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcdQaJZRUsDEAqkUPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTBsOXB2YTRjBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&va=primus+stove+in+world+war+1&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001
 
Batgeek,


I wonder if he was joking with you, as in, "Someone get me a Primus and let's cook this mess up and see what it tastes like!"


This is the kind of question/issue where Argonne1918 can probably give you some excellent insights.


SeaAndSky
 
I had never heard of the Primus stove before, but after reading the article and seeing the picture I agree this must be what you were talking about. It was probably issued to all troops on both sides along with the food. Your dislike for corned beef in the current life seems to validate the life in the trenches.
 
He did have something in his hand. I don't get the feeling that it was standard issue. If primus was a stove he was referring to it wasn't an everyday thing, at least not for us. I'm not even sure what I was doing was connected to the primus, though it did feel like it was a special occasion. It's just really hard to recall. Just when he started with the primus is when I started waking up. Primus being a stove makes more sense than the band Primus.
 
Batgeek22 said:
He did have something in his hand. I don't get the feeling that it was standard issue. If primus was a stove he was referring to it wasn't an everyday thing, at least not for us. I'm not even sure what I was doing was connected to the primus, though it did feel like it was a special occasion. It's just really hard to recall. Just when he started with the primus is when I started waking up. Primus being a stove makes more sense than the band Primus.
Maybe he had to borrow one from someone for "special occasions".
 
Batgeek22 said:
This life I remember bits of in the 1960's was great not because I was a privileged woman, but because I had family, I had love. I remember holding my hands over my pregnant belly and feeling joy. I also had knowledge that there were complications and it may kill me. My life in WW1 was a dreary one where I never experienced love.
Sounds like you and Paul were pretty tight, though.
 
Hmm. I'm trying to remember myself. Being in my 60s, I grew up with a lot of WWII guys around. I'm pretty sure that the term "primus" was used without "stove" as a generalized term for a camp stove by many. As a matter of fact, I may have heard the term used that way more recently (sometime over the last few years) while camping out with my son's Boyscout troop. In fact, it seems to be used that way commercially:


http://primuscamping.com/


I also can imagine a lot of situations where finding or having a primus would be considered a matter for celebration. They may have recently been on the move with light kit, and had to leave such luxuries behind. Perhaps they had just occupied a locale that had been stripped by its former inhabitants. Perhaps they were finally getting a chance to settle in somewhere after a tiring or dangerous trek. Considering they were Brits, I would imagine that the thought of a good hot cup of tea was a cause for celebration. (If you are an American, substitute "coffee" for "tea" in the last sentence).


SeaAndSky
 
Actually, looking back at what Argonne1918 wrote, I now understand more of the implications of what he was saying. "Paul" may have been holding onto something he wanted to cook or boil with a primus rather than a primus. So, he may have been calling for a primus to see if someone had one he could use. Possibly whatever he had to cook was worth celebrating. Maybe it was a can of tea and he wanted to heat water for it (as I earlier speculated). Hard to know, but I tend to believe that the good ol' Primus Stove was what he was referring to.
 
Back
Top