• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Compulsion related to PL?

lorijacz23

New Member
Could compulsion be related to PL? For the last few years I've had a strong pull to Catholicism even though I was never raised in a church. Currently I attained another denomination and have no desire to switch but I can't help (especially lately) but feel the need to practice the rituals such as crossing myself and praying on rosary beads. I've caught myself crossing myself without being aware of it until after I've done it. Has anyone else ever had this strange pull to a certain compulsion?
 
Lorijacz,


"The soul has been given its own ears to hear things the mind does not understand." ~ Rumi


I know what you are talking about, and yes it is very much apart of who we are... and our past lives. I believe habits, mannerisms, and propensities towards certain distinct things, even religious denominations, all play a role in who we are now. We are, in my opinion, a living product of all the lives we've lived before... traits and tendencies do follow us as seen in the work of Dr. Weiss and others.


In regard to religion, I have a deep pull towards the spirituality of Catholicism, but a disdain for the darker roll they've played in history. I am sure it comes from several life times as a priest and holy man. My only memory thus far is from abbey Melk in the 1600s. As for this life, I was raised Catholic and had a wonderful experience growing up.


You may be on the brink of discovery! Sometimes these feelings and inklings come just before a memory.


Tman
 
That is so interesting to me. I did not grow up in a church but I remember being fascinated by the mysticism in the Catholic church. What strikes me is how different my beliefs are when it comes to religion but the pull to pray and even to dream of the rosary beads is strong. I've dreamed of the Virgin Mary as a kid. I can't tell yet which live this comes from. Hopefully I get some answers or something. I wonder if I got through some of the rituals that it would jog a memory or something.
 
Do you have any idea why this is happening more 'especially lately'? Has anything unusual been happening or have you met a new person who seems 'strangely familiar'? Is something bothering you at the moment in particular?


This sort of thing can trigger a past life bubbling up to the surface that has lain dormant. There may be a connection there? You don't have to tell us all about it if you don't want to, but something to think about. Something to meditate on.
 
It never occurred to me to link to my life now. I think that may take some reflection on my part because right now my life seems pretty ordinary. The only link I have is that my Grandmother is a non practicing Catholic. I'm not sure which aspect of my life I should tie it too. This could take some time.
 
Is there anything bothering you, keeping you up at night thinking, an obscure issue you are thinking about a lot? Or, if there's nothing special going on at the moment, maybe it's not that. But, have a think when it started happening 'more often lately' and see if there's any pattern?


If there's nothing going on there, then maybe try focussing on what it is you are thinking about when you do this genuflection? What thought pops into your head before or after? Why do you think you're doing it? How does it make you feel? You may have to take a while to see if there's a pattern, but all these kinds of things can be clues to what it's all about.


Have you tried doing a self-regression / meditation on it?
 
lorijacz23 said:
Could compulsion be related to PL? For the last few years I've had a strong pull to Catholicism even though I was never raised in a church. Currently I attained another denomination and have no desire to switch but I can't help (especially lately) but feel the need to practice the rituals such as crossing myself and praying on rosary beads. I've caught myself crossing myself without being aware of it until after I've done it. Has anyone else ever had this strange pull to a certain compulsion?
Yes, I definitely know what you're talking about with being obsessed with things. I myself have had quite the unexplainable obsession with a certain period of time and it turns out that I had a pl then. After years of research and all the good stuff we talk about here, I was able to piece my past life together.


What I wanted to say though, was that I also had an interest in Catholicism from when I was a tot. I grew up in a family who did not go to church (I don't think any of them even believe in God) but my father remarried a woman who was a lapsed Catholic in the mid 1980s. A few times we'd go to Mass to please her mom (a few Midnight Masses at Christmas, nothing major). Nothing struck me as familiar that I can recollect, but I definitely liked it. A few times I was annoyed that I wasn't allowed to take Communion, which is pretty funny since I had never been baptized. cover face


I knew I had been raised Catholic in my past life, and chalked up my interest to that. Time went on. Four years ago, I moved to Argentina and most of the population is Catholic (heck, even the Pope is from here). Being around these old cathedrals, seeing saint statues under bridges, and just the whole Catholic culture here renewed my interest. I attended Mass here and there, started reading up on the beliefs a little better, etc. Instead of feeling indignant that I wasn't Catholic anymore and after a lot of soul searching, I decided to be baptized. I took catechism (something to the tune of 3 to 4 hour classes every Sunday) and was baptized on the 13 of this month. I will be confirmed in November. I am very pleased with my decision, feel completely at home in the church...and hey, I finally can take Communion!


I've talked a lot about this "Catholic pull" with others throughout the years. Though not everyone has taken the step to get baptized like I, there are quite a few people who have felt this same pull. So whereas now you may be feeling strange at wanting to cross yourself or pray the rosary, I think it's actually very normal. I think Tanguerra's advice is really good and I hope you keep us updated to let us know how you're getting on.
 
inhaltslos said:
What I wanted to say though, was that I also had an interest in Catholicism from when I was a tot. I grew up in a family who did not go to church (I don't think any of them even believe in God) but my father remarried a woman who was a lapsed Catholic in the mid 1980s. A few times we'd go to Mass to please her mom (a few Midnight Masses at Christmas, nothing major). Nothing struck me as familiar that I can recollect, but I definitely liked it.
You might be remembering how the Catholic Church was before the 1962 reforms. The Mass used to be in Latin, no matter where you were in the world it was in Latin. People followed along in their "missals", a type of prayer book with translations. Also the priest used to perform the mass with his back to the audience. Now he faces the audience.
 
I took the day to think it through and I've had reoccuring dreams of the rosary. In both dreams it was about not being able to afford to buy the beads. The most recent one I was trying buy a small set of beads but the lady who was selling them didn't have them. I remember being disappointed and I also remember feeling like she was scamming me.


I don't know if this storyline could be related to a PL. I do remember being young and being "drawn" to a Catholic church. I know though that it's not right for me and I won't change my religion but there is definitely a longing for the rituals ( such as the prayer and crossing myself). That seems to bring me a comfort that I'm missing.


I was watching this series lately called Liles based out of post- WWI Ireland and there were things in that show that rang a bell in my head and one of them was definitely the strong Catholic influence.


How odd it is btw to watch a show and have a scene that pops up that touches the psyche in such a strong way!! In one scene of this show I was watching this girl swing a hoe over her head and slam it down into the ground and I felt transfixed by her action. I dreamed that night I was looking through a photo album of old black and white photos and there in one was a field of something where I was tilling the land in rows. I was sucked into the photo and saw hills and hills of land. I must have been a farmer at some point in history.


It seems the more I'm aware of what's going on the more triggers I see!! First something in this present life resonates with me and than later I dream about it.
 
Sounds like you may have had a past life in Ireland. Seeing a movie or TV program that triggers past life memories is more common than you think.
 
lorijacz23 said:
....It seems the more I'm aware of what's going on the more triggers I see!! First something in this present life resonates with me and than later I dream about it.
Yes. This is how it works. Most people actually have little flashes and intuitions like this, but not knowing what it is, they assume it's their imagination, or a 'day dream' or something they must have dreamt or seen in a movie some time. But, when you start paying attention you begin to see connections and get resonances happening.


Could it be that you were a nun in a previous life (or a monk)? Nuns and monks spent a lot of time gardening/farming, as they needed to be self-sufficient in food as much as they could and even sold some produce to make money for the convent or monastery.


Perhaps the moment you recalled/dreamt of, when you were trying to buy a cheap enough string of prayer beads that you could afford, was when you were feeling a vocation to become a nun, or something along these lines? People usually remember the moments that were somehow pivotal in that life, even though they may not have seemed pivotal at the time, or their significance is not yet apparent?
 
Back
Top