Hi Foram,
Thank you for your replies. Since I last posted, I have done some more research into Gujarati woman.
The saree style you have shown in picture is not typical way of wearing Gujarati saree. Saree is worn in all cultures in India but the way you wear it is different for each of them. Here is the picture because I can’t explain in English.
Yes, I am aware that Gujarati woman drape their saree differently, over the right shoulder and not the left. I merely just used those photographs for colours of saree and Lehenga. Thank you for the photographs. I did not have enough time to write down everything as these glimpses went only for a few minutes at least.
View attachment 2203 Hi Eva,
Yes garba is our traditional dance Performed during Navratri(meaning 9 nights) festival that we celebrate every year. This is the longest dance festival in world which lasts for 9 nights where men and women dance in worship. Some people also follow special diet and do fasting. We also do garba sometimes in weddings so it could be both together that you might have attended.
Ahh yes! That’s the festival that I could not think of the name for! I’ve seen Garba in a few Bollywood films (I watched them purely to see if they would trigger any more memories) and there is a scene I watched in one that has vaguely familiar feels and may have been the function in the first vision but can’t be sure. I notice in the film too, the sarees are draped over the right shoulder not the left. FYI, the film takes place near Amritsar. Here:
The reason why I assumed it was a Garba, was because there was a lot of dance and the atmosphere was very happy. I had a very happy feeling and I know that these two visions were not connected because my brother and I were guests. But I could be wrong in saying it was a Garba and could have been something else.
Also for garba function traditional costume is something like below. It is called chaniya choli. how do you know you were Gujarati? May be you were just attending Gujarati function? Do you remember any words? Food? Any other festivals?
View attachment 2204
It is possible that I have Lehenga and chaniya choli mixed up, as in my research the two have similar styles (but worn differently I noticed).
How do I know I was Gujarati? Because I had the “Gujarat” repeat in my mind, and I had to google it to see what or where in India it was. It is possible I myself were not Gujarati and my new husband was Gujarati instead, but I feel very strongly I was the one who was Gujarati.
Maybe I was attending a Gujarati function? Unfortunately, I do not have much more to go off other than what I have written, so I could not even tell you what it was, whether it was Gujarati or not. But I had the strong sense in the first vision, that the function we attended was with friends, hence why I didn’t see our parents. My brother could have even been an escort for me and I wasn’t allowed to attend alone.. I really don’t know, and appreciate all your help.
As for food, I have always been fond of Chapatti’s and in particular ‘Vedhmi’. You’re probably very familiar with them being Gujarati. When I lived with my friends Indian family, I was always helping in the kitchen because it felt right and natural for me, so I picked up a lot of traditional Indian cooking methods (as I stated earlier they were not Gujarati and I suspect were Bengali/Punjabi). I also had a taste for a sweet snack food, which unfortunately I cannot remember the name of (dammit!

). I freakin’ LOVE Lentil Dhal and some curries.
continued in next post...
Eva x